• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can someone help me?

I've been away from Power Surge for a couple months, when I returned a couple weeks ago I found I was not able to get into the chat room. I wrote to Dearest but got no reply. I don't know what happened, except that I got DSL last month, but I'm not sure how that could affect it. I re-registered and tried to start all over again using a different name and email address all to no avail. When I get into the chat room area all I get is a box with settings to check, and something about clearing an avatar. What the heck is an avatar, I've never seen that before! Then there is a login box with changing your password! There is no way for me to enter the chat. Also when entering this site I get a box that says Your browser does not support ActiveX settings, whatever that is. Also it says Java is not enabled. Do I need Java? If so how do I enable it? I'm totally lost. I missed a couple of great chats already, I'm so disappointed. :lol::(

Are you trying to go into the old chatroom? The new one is at http://www.power-surge.com/chat.htm and registration is here: http://cbe.whathelps.com/chat/Registration...=PowerSurgeChat

There are no avatars in the chatroom at all, so I'm not sure why you'd get that message. Avatars are the pictures that some of us have under our user names.

Dearest posted this a couple weeks ago in another area and it may help you:

"If you're using Internet Explorer, check in your Tools to be sure that the Java (Sun) is unchecked. If you have a firewall, that may be blocking your access to the chatroom, too."

For those unfamiliar with Internet Explorer, on the menu at the top of the browser, you'll see the word TOOLS. Click on TOOLS, then click on INTERNET OPTIONS, then click on the ADVANCED TAB and scroll down to where it says MICROSOFT VM - the first two boxes should be unchecked.

If you have Sun Microsystem's Java Client installed on your computer, you won't be able to access the chat room. To find out if you have it on your machine, click on the START button and SETTINGS and CONTROL PANEL. Double-click on ADD/ REMOVE PROGRAMS (this won't remove the program - it's just to determine if it's on your machine). Scroll through the list - if you see Sun Microsystems Java Client, you know you have it. You can safely remove it from there. Frankly, I've had more problems with that Java client than anything else and I can't imagine what else you need it for.

I don't see why a software firewall should prevent you from accessing the chat room. I use a Sygate firewall and can get into the chat room on my desktop just fine. However, it depends on how it's configured. Ask someone else in the house who might have configured it if it could be causing a problem with the chat room - but my gut feeling is that it isn't the firewall -- unless it's a hardware firewall. That's a different story.

You can also call the manufacturers of your software/hardware and ask for their tech support.

Java and ActiveX were required for the old chatroom, but not the new one.

I'm getting the same exact message about avatar and 'java is not enabled on your browser' which is IE--latest version. I looked on the Advanced tab under Internet Options, Tools, and do not see anything like Microsoft VM. Would love to get into the chat room and am frustrated that I cannot. Thanks for any insight! B)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has problems getting into the chat room, please write to this E.mail address -- click here to send an E.mail -- this will go directly to the techs running the chat room's server and they'll be able to help you more than any of us can.

Be sure when you write you thorough explanation about what happens when you fail to get into the chat room.

Dearest

• 4 years later...

Sissy,

To get into the live chat, click the live chat line on the upper right of this page. You will need to be logged on first. It should open up to the chat room, I believe java needs to be enabled first.

Sometimes there are many of us there and sometimes no one. Keep checking back, never know there could be 2 people or 10 at times. Welcome.

Sissy,

To get into the live chat, click the live chat line on the upper right of this page. You will need to be logged on first. It should open up to the chat room, I believe java needs to be enabled first.

Sometimes there are many of us there and sometimes no one. Keep checking back, never know there could be 2 people or 10 at times. Welcome.

Still can't get in. My Java is installed. Don't know what else to do. :o

Guys - I can help I think as I had this problem too ever since I installed IE8.

I can't get into the chatroom either with internet explorer. It seems Java has problems with IE8.

In the end I found if I installed Firefox, I could get in - so that's what i would recommend.