• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

THE IMPORTANCE OF PURGING YOUR CACHE

PURGING YOUR CACHE

Before reading, you may want to save a copy of this for future reference.

Today everyone surfs the Web. When you use the Internet on a regular basis, it is essential that you "purge your cache." The cache is composed of files that build up on your computer every time you open a Web page. Opening the page downloads into your computer everything that's ON that page including text, javascript, sound files, images, etc. Needless to say, when you're surfing from page to page, many thousands of files can build up a "cache" on your computer. Unless you purge (clean) them out of your machine, it will slow you down your Internet experience. If you've never purged your cache before, but have surfed the Internet, you will be amazed at how many files have been stored on your machine.

These files are "dumped" into your "C:WindowsTemporary Internet Files" directory.

AOL MEMBERS & IE USERS(MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER):

In AOL 5.0, go to the "My AOL" icon on the top of the AOL screen. Click on PREFERENCES Click on the" WWW" icon

In AOL 6.0 & 7.0, go to the AOL menu at the top of the screen and click on:

1) Settings 2) Preferences3) Internet Properties (WWW).

In AOL 9.0, click on Settings and Internet Properties.

The rest is the same for AOL and Non-AOL members using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

If you're using Internet Explorer from your Windows desktop or going in through AOL's instructions above:

-- Click on TOOLS and INTERNET OPTIONS.

It will default to the screen with the GENERAL Tab window open. In the middle of the Window, you will see, TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES.

1) Click on DELETE FILES and put a check mark in the box that says "Offline Content" and click on OK

2) Do the same thing on that same Window for the HISTORY area.

--Click on CLEAR HISTORY and then click on Ok when it asks if you want to delete all your history files.

That's called purging your cache. It will prevent pages in your memory from loading and will also allow you to suft the Internet faster when the cache is cleaned up.

This is a diagnostic you should do at least once every few days if you do a lot of Web surfing (I purge my cache a few times a day).

---------------------------------------

TO PURGE YOUR CACHE IN NETSCAPE BROWSER:

IN NETSCAPE: click on EDIT and PREFERENCES. Scroll to ADVANCED and double-click on it. Highlight CACHE

On the right side of the screen, you'll see two buttons.

1) Clear Memory Cache2) Clear Disk Cache

-- Click on each one and you'll get a message about clearing the cache. -- Click "OK" and that will purge your cache in Netscape.

--------------------------------------------

If you want to read more about cookies, visit http://www.cookiecentral.com

• 2 years later...

I am SO upset! This is the second chat in two weeks that I've tried to enter, and I can't! :( Every time I get into the chat room, I hear a constant clicking, like the page is trying to refresh, and I can't type, read or send messaged. AND I purged AND purged my files!! :( I'm doomed. There has to be something with my system, but I can't figure it out. I can get into other chats with no problems! I'll have to get one of my 'computer' expert friends to check this out. I'm sorry I missed the chat, I was SO looking forward to this one! :mad: