• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Some Board Problems :(

You may notice that some of the topics may not "show" here and there, but I'm in the process of moving the entire database over to a new board because this one has given me too many problems. Many boards were missing, so I had to do some maintenance, but in doing so, I notice a couple of topics are not showing although they are still actually on the server. Please be patient and things will be restored to normal (what's normal?) as soon as possible.

Thanks,Dearest

Quote: from Dearest on 10:28 pm on Dec. 13, 2002[br]You may notice that some of the topics may not "show" here and there, but I'm in the process of moving the entire database over to a new board because this one has given me too many problems. Many boards were missing, so I had to do some maintenance, but in doing so, I notice a couple of topics are not showing although they are still actually on the server. Please be patient and things will be restored to normal (what's normal?) as soon as possible.

Thanks,Dearest

What a PITA!  Always something, right?

Thanks, Dearest, for being on top of this, and noticing the problem right away.  Seems like it was just yesterday that you moved to this newer board - now it's nearly time to move again.

What a lot of work this must be.  Thanks for doing it for us all!

• 1 year later...

I am so discouraged...this is the fourth time in a couple months that I've tried to get into a chat, and I can't seem to make it work. :( I wanted so badly to listen to Dr Holt tonite. I purged my cache and that wouldn't help :( I just don't understand it. Sorry to all you girls that said 'hello' and I didn't respond to...I tried but couldn't get anything to work. :mad: I'm about ready to throw this computer out the window - it's only 6 months old and VERY much up to date.....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! Am I the only one having this problem?

Kleeo, did you download the JavaClient? When you try to log in, it asks you if you want to. It should say that if you don't, it won't work.

What happens when you try to log in?

Sometimes, in the past, my memory was low (just like menopause!) and rebooting the computer gave me a better chance of getting in.

I also had a conflict with an Internet Explorer java client. I could tell that right away, because the room had worked earlier, and it stopped when I "upgraded" something on IE. Did the chatroom work for you before, with this computer?

Maybe if you tell us the circunstances, we can get this figured out for you.

Computers can be tricky devils!

frustrating.gif

Hi MaryO, first let me say....ARGH!

The java 'thingie' that I have on my machine is called "Java Web Start". If my memory doesn't fail me, (HA!) when I first logged into a chat and tried to download the java program that you mentioned, I wasn't allowed to because I already have this one. Maybe I should delete this one and download the one used with your chatroom? I always considered myself computer savvy until this crazy problem! lol.......any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I do NOT want to miss Dr Tabor next week! :(

Thank you, Hugs!

Kleeo

Kleeo, I'm not familiar with Java Web Start at all, although I looked up it's website a little.

The thing I do know is the one for the chatroom is only for the chatroom, so a broader application like Java Web Start might not work.

When I upgraded this version of IE, it added a Sun Java v 2.1.40 and the chatroom didn't work after that. I didn't uninstall it, I just unchecked the box so it doesn't look there first. I have never had anything fail to work with that one unchecked.

If you're in IE, go to Internet Options / Advanced and see what's listed there for Java stuff. Unchecking is a good way to test this stuff before taking a more drastic step of uninstalling.

Remember, the chatroom is always open, so you can test it out before the chats

Well I've tried everything. Deleted the java program I had, and still can't get the chatroom to work. :mad: I guess I'm going to have to invite my computer-genius friend over to figure this out. I use Internet Explorer and am SERIOUSLY thinking about going to Netscape. Sometimes Microsoft almost OWNS your system when you use their products! :(

Thank you for the help MaryO....I'll just keep trying.

Hugs,

Kleeo

I posted this before but did not get an answer. Please respond. I would hate for other ladies to have this same problem. I did a web search on myself and found a link to a very personal question I sent to Dr. Erika posted on the internet. The link leads back to the Power-Surge Ask the Experts Archives. I use a web alias on Power-Surge, but perhaps I signed my real name in the e-mail to Dr. Erika. Perhaps she got my real name from the e-mail address. At any rate I am a professional and there are a number of reasons that some one might do a web search using my name. Is there a way to eliminate this embarassing link. Please post a response or e-mail me back with a reply.

Guest Admin

Write to Dearest at Dearest@aol.com, explain the situation and she can delete the message from the Ask The Experts database and it will disappear from the search engines.

If it was from an email, there is no way it would appear on the web.

Board Administrator

• 4 weeks later...

I had a Board question and I looked for a place to post it, so I hope that this is right.

I've noticed a date of 1969 for some posts. An example is on the "Other Midlife Health Issues." If you scroll down, it goes from 2001 to 1969 on page 4 of that board.

Is this the correct date? I thought that PowerSurge had been in existence for ten years, so that would be about 1994 or something. I was just curious about the posts dated 1969.

I think that's a glitch that occurred when the boards were moved from the older type (cgi) that they were to the type that they are now (php). Both types do things a little differently, and I think that some didn't convert exactly right.

I believe that some people appear to have been members from 1969, too, but in reality, everything should be newer than 1994.

Unfortunately, computers aren't perfect...yet!