• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can view other people profiles and they are fine.

haven't changed anything and rebooting doesn't help so I have no clue what's going on.

No biggie!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been a member for quite some time but still don't know how to do the "quote" reply properly. If I don't want to copy the entire post of another member, but just a sentence or two and then reply to it, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Donna

Donna, when you hit Quote/reply and get the page you post in, just highlight the stuff you don't want and hit 'delete' on your keyboard. Be sure not to highlight where it says "quote" at the beginning and end of the quoted post.

• 7 months later...

Does anybody know why my in box is missing? I can no longer PM. This is the error message I get. It was fine until about 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board

I've tried from both my home and work computers and get the same message. I have also sent to the power surge technical team about three times and havn't heard back. Do any of you know what it may be?

Thanks.

Nancy

Only a guess Nancy but it might be that due to the number of spam-bots around recently that some boards are only allowing PMs from those members with a certain number of posts. Might explain why todays spambot intrusion has created several posts saying aaaaaaaa before it started to try and PM people. This is only a guess but i have read about other boards doing this.

Yes, something weird is going on. I sub to the "Introduce Yourself" topic and I just got 48 emails, in 2 minutes, with nothing on them but 'aaaaaaaa'. I had to unsub until it gets fixed.

Huh! I just checked the Intro topic and now all those posts are gone! There was over a full page of them on page 132--gone. Weird!! :wacko:

I also notice that the board is running real slow today.

I think that some bot was posting all those messages to be able to bypass the new PM restrictions.

I would guess that just posting that many things in a few minutes would slow things down a bit. The board seems to be running at normal speed for me now.

Those posts have all been removed.

Do you know who they came from? Dearest can't read anyone's PMs (and wouldn't possibly have the time). There's no way to delete these PMs without knowing who sent them.

If it was from several days ago, chances are the person(s) is gone already.

This is the latest spambot to target the site. I wonder whether some sort of vetting could be put on new members for now or whether that would be too much of an overhead depending on how many we get per day. Or maybe limit the number of posts they can make in a day or something so they cannot get through the x posts to be able to PM limit.

I noticed the spammer last night managed to repeatedly post the aaaaaaaaa message several times a minute despite the repeat post flood control having being upped to once every 60 secs recently. Wonder how it's getting through that.

• 2 months later...
Members can no longer start new topics in this forum. As you can see, many newcomers have posted topics regarding issues that belong in other forums. This forum is strictly for problems with the message board, blogs and Live Chat.

If you have any questions, post them in this or any of the other existing topics. They will be read by me and other board administrators and you will receive a reply. You can also send a PM (personal message) to "Board Administrator" or to me, "Dearest" if you have a problem.

These new Power Surge message boards have been up for about a month. Many of you have had no problems with them at all, while others have been unable to log in after they've registered. Sometimes, when people have written to me saying they couldn't log in, the board administrator has successfully logged in with their name and password. On the main screen it shows that over 450 members have signed on already, so it's apparent that not everyone is having ?problems.<p>I realize that many of you became accustomed to the old boards, but, unfortunately, those boards had over 25,000 messages and it was causing a strain on the server the Web site is on, which is why these boards were installed on a different server. ?I was told if I left the old boards on the old server, I risked losing the entire Web site. I don't think any of you want to see that happen.<p>For those of you who have asked why we couldn't have boards without registration, the registration is necessary for the purposes of maintenance and organization. It's also easier to log in once and not have to retype your name for each message, plus these boards have many more features than the old boards.<p>So, for those of you who've had difficulty registering and/or signing onto the new boards, please be advised that we're working on correcting the problem. I have received your E.mails. I have responded to as many as I can. The last resort will be to install an entirely new board, while preserving all your messages and registration information. <p>I appreciate your cooperation and patience. This has been very trying on all of us, but I promise the problem will be resolved one way or the other next week.

<big>In the event this board ever goes down, I've set up a temporary board here.I strongly recommend bookmarking the temporary board once you get there.</big>

Members can no longer start new topics in this forum. As you can see, many newcomers have posted topics regarding issues that belong in other forums. This forum is strictly for problems with the message board, blogs and Live Chat.

If you have any questions, post them in this or any of the other existing topics. They will be read by me and other board administrators and you will receive a reply. You can also send a PM (personal message) to "Board Administrator" or to me, "Dearest" if you have a problem.

These new Power Surge message boards have been up for about a month. Many of you have had no problems with them at all, while others have been unable to log in after they've registered. Sometimes, when people have written to me saying they couldn't log in, the board administrator has successfully logged in with their name and password. On the main screen it shows that over 450 members have signed on already, so it's apparent that not everyone is having ?problems.<p>I realize that many of you became accustomed to the old boards, but, unfortunately, those boards had over 25,000 messages and it was causing a strain on the server the Web site is on, which is why these boards were installed on a different server. ?I was told if I left the old boards on the old server, I risked losing the entire Web site. I don't think any of you want to see that happen.<p>For those of you who have asked why we couldn't have boards without registration, the registration is necessary for the purposes of maintenance and organization. It's also easier to log in once and not have to retype your name for each message, plus these boards have many more features than the old boards.<p>So, for those of you who've had difficulty registering and/or signing onto the new boards, please be advised that we're working on correcting the problem. I have received your E.mails. I have responded to as many as I can. The last resort will be to install an entirely new board, while preserving all your messages and registration information. <p>I appreciate your cooperation and patience. This has been very trying on all of us, but I promise the problem will be resolved one way or the other next week.

<big>In the event this board ever goes down, I've set up a temporary board here.I strongly recommend bookmarking the temporary board once you get there.</big>

Hello!

I'm excited to have found this site. I am having a hard time figuring things out though. I'm not a big internet person as it is so that might explain some of my confusion. I'm unable in send or reciecve pms. Is that because I dont have enough posts or is there another reason? Also I dont understand how you get "friends" and how you use that feature

Thankyou,

Lara

Hello!

I'm excited to have found this site. I am having a hard time figuring things out though. I'm not a big internet person as it is so that might explain some of my confusion. I'm unable in send or reciecve pms. Is that because I dont have enough posts or is there another reason? Also I dont understand how you get "friends" and how you use that feature

Thankyou,

Lara

See I proved my point. I dont know what the heck I'm doing. I hope I put my previous message in the right place.

Help!!!!!!!!

Lara

Hi Lara and welcome :)

Sorry that no-one seems to have answered your post.

To enable send and receive messages-

Go to "my controls" -top right of page next to "view new posts"

Go to options-bottom left

Click on board settings-5th down

You can then set all your board display settings including personal message options.

To add someone as a friend click on the drop down list by one of the member's posts and "ad as a friend" will be an option. Just click on it and it will take you through the process.

Hope that helps.

I am sure once you get the hang of it you will enjoy using the site!

Good luck

janet c

Hi Janet,

I did finally get it figured out and can send messages now. I should have updated my message stating that.

Thankyou though for responding though and for the welcome.

Lara

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having a warning sign appearing whilst on powersurge?

I,m getting THIS AREA OF AMERICA ONLINE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE keeps flashing up and have to click on close to get rid.

Panicking that it,s going to not be available.

I,m in UK and on AOL??

Thanks KathS

Can anyone tell me why I have so many profile views but very few visitors listed???!!! I thought that whenever you clicked on a name and went to that profile that you were registered as a visitor! How do you view without showing up as a visitor?? Anyone??

thanks,

sally

Help ... I am also having the same problem that the OP had here ... cannot do PM's or receive PM's. I did change my board controls (the one that says "Disable personal messages?" is set to "NO," which I think is right, but it doesn't work whether it's set to yes or no (I tried).

I also tried to send an e-mail to the forum moderators with no success.

Also could not post my own thread on this forum (under Board Problems), although I am able to post in other areas.

Could someone please help me on the PM thing, because I really need to PM someone that tried to PM me yesterday (and she wasn't able to either, probably because something on my profile is not set right).

Thanks much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies

Have any of you had trouble getting into PS? Had a tempory glitch last week,kept saying Driver Error,couldn,t access the site,anyway it resolved itself.

Just that another member Jackie62 in UK having problems getting onto PS,cannot access it since last week.Having the same problem I encountered

Any ideas ladies what could be wrong?

Thanks

KathS

Kath, I'm in the Uk, I didn't have any problems today, however, i did last week when the site was down. I've been coming here for a few years now and the site does does down occasionally (often due to hackers or site updates) but it always comes back again. Driver error is usually the message you get when it happens. Just try again later. There is a temporary board http://www.quicktopic.com/33/H/NDHffQWfq3HVW if the site is down for a long time.