After reading and re-reading Zen's post, I think she was just trying to start a topic and just doesn't understand how. Instead of bashing her, we should have took the time to try to understand where she was coming from. Being mean to someone is unacceptable. There are some areas that I get an error message, but I can usually figure out what I did wrong. Maybe she just couldn't. Afterall she did write that she had posted before with no response.

We are supposed to be sisters here. Understanding is part of that sisterhood. I almost cried when I read her last post. She was really hurt. AA, There are ways to tell someone something without being downright mean.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i certainly can't create a new topic in -Board / Site, Chat Room Info, Questions, Problems- where this post belongs... -Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum- does anyone have permission? are we supposed to have no problems?

i have left two messages in the topic 'having board problems?' in the above area, but no answer. i have asked this question in a couple of topics at random when my frustration level reached danger point.. no reply.

i can be irritated enough without having to deal with irritation here as well..

This was the initial post that Zen put forth. I absolutely hear aggression in it. For Zen to then come on and accuse others who responded of hostility, makes no sense...

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

You could have asked this question in a sincere way, Zen, without the sarcasm.

JJ

i was being sincere. yes, i was irritated, seems to be happening to me a lot these days - i wonder why that is?

altho i registered here a while back, i'm still fairly new to the workings of this site. it is different to other sites i use, and i don't read every post here, so don't know much about what is happening to people.. like i said in the post replying to tots on this page, i just didn't know about Dearest and MaryO having issues.

i know at least a couple of other people here have asked the same question without a reply also.

it's a real shame how when people don't know a person they can automatically assume the worst about them. i am not saying i don't do that myself at times, especially when i don't feel good, but i do try at least.

thankyou to Rendy, CareBearsGrl, and Bigheart..

Hi Zen,

If you are still here I think I can give you a technical answer to your questions.

1. You do appear to need special (probably Adminstrative) permission to create a new topic. I would imagine this is because of the number of people who use this site and the tendency to create a topic if one doesn't easily see a topic that fits. I know I have this challenge where I work. We end up with a big threaded mess.

2. I am guessing that the software used here may not have that nifty 10 minute feature you refered too. It is possible that providing edit in this software would allow one to edit any old posts. I think that is an issue legally but I couldn't get into the details.

Anyway, I hope that helps explain things for you.

Thank you all for your contributions to explaining why messages can't be edited on this board.

rendy is correct in that this FORUM - THE BASICS - is primarily for administrators to start new topics. Sometimes I wish I'd configured the entire board that way because there are SO MANY repetitive topics, it's not only a strain on the database, but it makes it more difficult for people to find information they're seeking.

As for #2, rendy, if "editing" posts were enabled on the board, only the poster of the message could edit their message. Be advised, and we don't seek to keep it a secret, that administrators have the option to edit posts if someone has vioated any of the board guidelines (listed at the very top of the main board). In all cases where posts are edited by an administrator, it is noted at the bottom of the post, such as, "Board Administrator: This message violates the board guidelines; therefore, the commercial link in this message has been removed." That, too, is included in the guidelines - that the administrator(s) of this board reserves the right to edit any inappropriate posts.

Dearest

As for the full reply to why the EDIT feature has been disabled on the board, I am leaving a place holder here to respond later -- after I get some much needed rest after 4 nights of not sleeping.

Incidentally, this question has been replied to before, but I will be more than glad to explain it again - when I have some more energy.

Dearest

As for the full reply to why the EDIT feature has been disabled on the board, I am leaving a place holder here to respond later -- after I get some much needed rest after 4 nights of not sleeping.

Incidentally, this question has been replied to before, but I will be more than glad to explain it again - when I have some more energy.

Dearest

Dearest so sorry to hear about your 4 bad nites with no sleep. You are kind enough to have this website for us women for free and I for one am very grateful for that. Please take care of your Mama and yourelf those should be your priorities and the fact that you were still able to respond today shows alot of Heart, take care, Tinkybug :) (lety)

Zen - if this is like most sites the reason you can't edit your posts is to prevent you from removing all or part of your post after others have responded to it. It is hard to follow what is going on when someone goes back and removes the post or changes it so much that the follow-up messages make no sense. I know there are sites that allow the poster 5 minutes or so after posting to remove what was written (for writer's remorse, I guess) but that capability is not available here. Most can figure out the messages despite heavy spelling/typing errors that are missed on preview, you can always post another message if you want to further clarify what you are trying to say, and for myself, I try hard to wait overnight and really think it through before I post on an emotional or "hot potato" topic so I don't post something that I might regret later.

all good points NightOwl.. i really don't care about typos, what was bugging me the most was wanting to add something else and having my previous post come up again quoted in the reply..

maybe it's just me, maybe i am as dumb as two fenceposts and shouldn't be posting here at all... i probably won't post again after all this, i think i've learned my lesson here. this is just getting worse and worse the more posts there are about it, and i feel bad enough already..

btw... this is in Help... there is a time limit feature..

Editing Posts

Above any posts that you have made, you may see an 'Edit' button. Pressing this will allow you to edit the post that you had previously made.

When editing you may see an option to 'Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?'. If you tick this then it will show up in the posts that it has been edited and the time at which it was edited. If this option does not appear, then the edit by line will always be added to the post.

If you are unable to see the edit button displayed on each post that you have made, then the administrator may have prevented you from editing posts, or the time limit for editing may have expired.

maybe i am as dumb as two fenceposts and shouldn't be posting here at all... i probably won't post again after all this, i think i've learned my lesson here. this is just getting worse and worse the more posts there are about it, and i feel bad enough already..

Zen, please don't feel bad about this! The way I read it you were frustrated and someone else felt that voicing the frustration about how the site was working for you was a personal attack on Dearest. Just a misunderstanding of intention. The internet world is harder to communicate through at times because we can not see facial expressions, body language, or gauge how others are reacting to what we are saying. We have to allow a little more leeway than we would for "in person" communication when we can see the cues that accompany the message. Every single person on this board has something valuable to add and we need all of us here even if it is just to say "me too" when we feel all alone.

Every message board has a different way of setting up the rules. I started a website with a message board for a group I am part of and I'm used to being able to edit and delete my posts - somewhere on this site is a whole page of me posting over and over again in an effort to fix my post. It was really quite comical...even if I did look like a total idiot to anyone who read those posts later!! From what I can gather if you post again within a few minutes on the same topic it will let you add to the message and it will show up within the same entry but you can not change any of the previous post that was already within. In a site this big, with tons of members, and tons of activity there is going to be some trial & errors and frustrations when it works differently than you expected. No biggie in the scheme of things! :)

zen, when you reply to a post just make sure you hit the "reply" button and not the "quote" button...It's easy to get them mixed up! Also, if something shows up quoted in your reply window before you even type anything in, you can use your backspace button or cut/paste select (with your mouse) that section if you want to delete it.

all good points NightOwl.. i really don't care about typos, what was bugging me the most was wanting to add something else and having my previous post come up again quoted in the reply..

maybe it's just me, maybe i am as dumb as two fenceposts and shouldn't be posting here at all... i probably won't post again after all this, i think i've learned my lesson here. this is just getting worse and worse the more posts there are about it, and i feel bad enough already..

btw... this is in Help... there is a time limit feature..

Editing Posts

Above any posts that you have made, you may see an 'Edit' button. Pressing this will allow you to edit the post that you had previously made.

When editing you may see an option to 'Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?'. If you tick this then it will show up in the posts that it has been edited and the time at which it was edited. If this option does not appear, then the edit by line will always be added to the post.

If you are unable to see the edit button displayed on each post that you have made, then the administrator may have prevented you from editing posts, or the time limit for editing may have expired.

The above quote you took from the Help section is put together by the creators of the board. The "owner" of the board has the option to change any configuration - in the same manner as any woman buys a home and redecorates it. The operative words in your quote from the Help section are:

"If you are unable to see the edit button displayed on each post that you have made, then the administrator may have prevented you from editing posts, or the time limit for editing may have expired"

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding why the edit feature has become such an issue.

As for other message boards, I have been online since the days before Windows existed. The majority of message boards do not include an edit feature. Yes, there may be some that do, but if you look around at other boards, you'll find most of them don't.

Dearest

i did do a search on the word edit, but didn't actually see anything... so sorry about that.

to tell you the truth now, i am sorry i ever asked.

I also did a search and came up with a number of messages using the search words "editing posts" and including my user name, Dearest. I'm not going to look through all of them now, but here's one from September of 2004:

http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/inde...indpost&p=68471

You'll also find it included in the original "New Member Information" topic written five years ago:

http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/index.php?showtopic=3008

Dearest

Dear Dearest,

I read your article about finding the "right" doctor". My problem is that in the 5 years that I've lived in Toledo Ohio I have seen over 25 different doctors and feel that getting the one I need is impossible. What if you live in an area like this and can't get into the "GOOD" doctor loop because they dont take new patients or are non- existing? How do you find them? Lord knows I've tried and tried and tried! I feel trapped like I'll never get relief for the symptoms that keep me awake at night, thus this causes more problems that create a never ending cycle. I eat less and gain more and more weight. this aggravates other physical problems (plantar faciitus and heal spurs) which limits my exercise and there again the vicious cycle goes on!! I'd really appreciate any ideas on this!

Thanks

Lucette

Zen,

Why would you leave the site? You're a beloved member of our community here..

And you have to admit, your question has brought about some excellent explanations about how the boards work. ^_^

We're all perimenopausal, emotional, grumpy, silly, and on and on... like in families, I hope we can just move on and enjoy one another.

I don't like the way you asked your initial question... but Zen, I like YOU! Don't go! We care about you!

JJ

Garden Gal, you can find doctors who are knowledgeable about menopause in your area if you go to the North American Menopause Society's web site. I can't post the link as we are not supposed to link to other sites. Just Google it and you should find it. Good luck!

You can get the names of doctors in your area who specialize in menopause by E.mailing Pete Hueseman, R.Ph, P.D. Tell him what you're looking for and include you city, state and zip code.

This is not simply a "list" of doctors, but doctors with whom Pete (who's been one of Power Surge's menopause / hormone / pharmaceutical consultants for over 10 years) is familar and has worked with over the years.

Dearest

This is not simply a "list" of doctors, but doctors with whom Pete (who's been one of Power Surge's menopause / hormone / pharmaceutical consultants for over 10 years) is familar and has worked with over the years.

Dearest

Yes, but can you EDIT that list?? (ducking!!) :D:P:lol: Ummm Dearest?? Just thought a big THANK YOU for all you DO do is appropriate about now. Now about that edit button ....???? :lol::P Good thing I have an internal one!!

XOXOXOXO :D

Yes, but can you EDIT that list?? (ducking!!) :D:P:lol: Ummm Dearest?? Just thought a big THANK YOU for all you DO do is appropriate about now. Now about that edit button ....???? :lol::P Good thing I have an internal one!!

XOXOXOXO :D

:P Leanne good thing you ducked!! :D And where do you find an internal edit button?? Mine seems to be lost :unsure:

• 2 months later...

I have posted about an OTC that I use for anxiety--under Alternative Medicines--(L-Theanine)--and it works so well that I wanted to post the thread under 'Anxiety'. Should I start a new thread there to be sure those watching the 'Anxiety' forum will see it since it might benefit them or should I just post the link to the page or should I just leave it alone hoping those with anxiety see it?? :unsure:

• 5 months later...
We don't use MicroSoft. My DH likes Netscape, I prefer Firefox. However, on Netscape, I have a "New Post" button; on Firefox it's missing.

I use Firefox and I have a "New Posts" link.

It's on the line that reads:

Logged in as: MaryO ( Log Out ) ? My Blog ? My Controls ? View New Posts ? My Assistant ? 0 New Messages

:o

Is the Insta Chat Nut Bar currently locked?

I lost my key..I can't get in.

All the doors are locked.

Is it because of the smoking ban?LOL

:o

Is the Insta Chat Nut Bar currently locked?

I lost my key..I can't get in.

All the doors are locked.

Is it because of the smoking ban?LOL

I'm locked out tonight too M&M....logan broke the door when she got wild in there tonight....she was throwing things around, like chairs and oreos! I got very good at ::::ducking:::: :lol:

Hopefully something magical will happen and abbra-ka-dabbra....the door will be opened

C-ya at the Nutbar.......booboolena

What.........little o' me broke the door! Heavens no, I was just protecting AA oreo's.

Gesh........ trying to help & I'm accused.

Not Guility

Shannon

aka: loganbil :o

What.........little o' me broke the door! Heavens no, I was just protecting AA oreo's.

Gesh........ trying to help & I'm accused.

Not Guility

Shannon

aka: loganbil :o

Oh Shannon/logan.....you look and sound SO sweet and innocent....but I got an eye witness (think: Dot....) to the above aforementioned late night ruckus at the Nutbar (indeed, shooting those Oreos around like hockey pucks...what's up with that?)

But hey....do you happen to be Irish you behave like a little leprechaun ;)

See you at the Nutbar!

Micki aka booboolena