• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

IMPORTANT Re Upgraded Board, Jan 2008

There are some problems that still need to be resolved in this new upgraded version of the Power Surge Message Board.

One of the problems is that I see this in my Control Panel:

"Welcome to your control panel

Your account summary

EMAIL WARNING

Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc.

PLEASE change your email address immediately."

Firstly, your E.mail address has not changed. There is a glitch somewhere in the setup of the new board that is causing this message to appear. I don't know if everyone sees it, but it happened after the last board upgrade as well.

Do NOT do anything about changing your E.mail address. Once we find the glitch, the message will disappear.

Another issue is that most my messages in which I use HTML code (the code behind Web pages) are showing the raw code, rather than the resulting "look" the message is supposed to have.

This, too, has to be sorted out by finding the glitch that's causing this problem that clearly occurred during the transfer of the database from the previous board to this upgraded one.

For me to sort through my own 5,400 messages is insane. I am attempting to correct those messages that are of top priority, such as the newcomers information, the guidelines, the links at the top of many forums to articles about the issues involved in that forum. I am doing that manually until the problem can be resolved board-wide.

Naturally, these problems have to occur on a weekend when tech support is very scant :(

There are some other issues, one is involving colors. Some of that may be due to the board OR some of it may be due to how you have your Windows colors configured. For example, you may see white text on a white background. You may see while posting a message on the board if you look over to the left of the message under the smiley's and the words "Quick Access." This has to be corrected as well.

Your Signature: Another thing I've noticed that's easily fixed by each of you.

I've discovered that by simply editing your signature - say you have a "br" in it if it has more than one line (like my signature, for example), I simply removed the "br" and replaced it and it straightened out my entire signature.

You might want to try it with yours - even if you have one line or an image, if it doesn't look the way it should, just try rewriting the first few letters in it and look at it again. That simple step may tweak it back to the way it should look.

IF YOU SEE ANYTHING THAT LOOKS WRONG IN THE APPEARANCE OF THE BOARD -- AS WELL AS SOMETHING THAT MIGHT NOT BE WORKING RIGHT ON THE BOARD -- PLEASE POST IT IN THIS TOPIC AND DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

IF YOU NOTICE A MESSAGE OF MINE AT THE TOP OF A FORUM (OR INSIDE A TOPIC) WITH LINKS TO ARTICLES AND/OR VARIOUS PAGES ON THE WEB SITE THAT HAS THE HTML CODE SHOWING, PLEASE CLICK ON THE "REPORT" BUTTON (IT'S LOCATED IN THE LOWER LEFT-HAND CORNER OF THE BAR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MESSAGE) AND IT WILL SEND ME A LINK TO THAT MESSAGE. YOU CAN ADD A NOTE WHEN YOU REPORT A MESSAGE

I'm doing the best I can. This is a weekend and I'm only one person. I can't be everywhere at once and can't see everything that may need to be corrected.

In the meantime, feel free to post any problems you see here that will be helpful to me in correcting any board issues.

Everything will eventually be worked out.

Thanks,

Dearest

Hi Dearest,

Just thought you'd like to know that my control panel appears to be Ok so the good news is that the problem with the email alert does not seem to be affecting everyone on the board :)

Since you are requesting feedback, there are a couple of things that I have noticed:

Typing this message to you appears as black text on a white background which is a different look to before but perfectly useable :) The two buttons below the box "Toggle side panel" and "BB code help" are a very pale blue on white which is a little hard to read.

Something which changed a while back before (even the last board change) was that when I open a box to reply on a thread, such as this one, and I scroll down to the bottom of the last few previous posts that are visible on the page, there is some text saying:

"Review the complete topic (launches new window)"

This is a really useful feature but has been white on white for a long time now (since way before the last site upgrade). (it is currently pale blue on grey making it slightly better than before, but only just visible)

Thank you for doing such a wonderful job running the site. You are truly amazing to be handling all this single-handedly today :)

One of the problems since the upgrade:

"Welcome to your control panel

Your account summary

EMAIL WARNING

Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc.

PLEASE change your email address immediately."

Firstly, your E.mail address has not changed. There is a glitch somewhere in the setup of the new board that is causing this message to appear. I don't know if everyone sees it, but it happened after the last board upgrade as well.

Do NOT do anything about changing your E.mail address. Once we find the glitch, the message will disappear.

The above was part of my first message regarding some problems the board was having since the upgrade. This problem should be fixed for everyone now. I no longer get the above message when entering my Control Panel.

If anyone else is still getting the above quoted message or any messages on the board about their E.mail addresses being incorrect, please post here.

Thank you.

Dearest

I am SO frustrated. The HTML code inside my messages was altered by the board upgrade. Now, many of the links in my messages don't work. When this first happened after the upgrade, I manually edited hundreds of messages, only touching the tip of the iceberg of my 5,400 (approx) messages. I didn't get any replies from the board's tech support people over an entire weekend - last weekend. Finally, I heard from them on Monday after writing to them on Friday night. They told me of a feature in the Admin area where I could rebuild the messages and that should fix the HTML code and make the links the way I originally posted them. WRONG!

Not only did that not work, but all the messages I had already manually done now need redoing, which is what I've been doing the past 6 hours! Now, again, it's a weekend and I'm still awaiting a reply from tech support for hours. My biggest concern are the Important Topics at the top of every forum directing people toward various sections and articles on the site relating to that forum.

This is just too much for me. While others have the time to play in insta-chat, I'm always working in the background. Is it any wonder I don't get a chance to post on the board much anymore?

I'm very annoyed, but I have no option other than to repair what's been damaged - so much work down the drain.

If you see any messages where the links don't work, please send me a PM with a link to the message. If you don't know how to figure out how to get a link to the specific message, just copy and paste the URL (address) into the PM and tell me what forum and topic it's in.

Dearest

Update: 2:30 AM -- 8 1/2 hours now

Thank you so much Dearest for all you do. I wish I could help in someway. Stuff always gets resolved, and so will this. We look forward to your future postings. Keep your chin up. I will be praying that things will go smoothly. :)

Bless you Dearest for all your hard work. You probably feel you sometimes go unappreciated but believe me that is so far from the truth!!! I'm sure that I speak for all the ladies (and gentlemen) here that we thank you in our hearts and minds everyday for Power Surge and all the hard work that goes into keeping it going. A million thanks. Shelley

Dearest:

I am so sorry to hear of these technical difficulties.....this site is such a Godsend---truly a life saver----I wish I could help you in some way. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to lend assistance----I am happy to help you in any way I can. Thank you for all your endless hours of hard work.....

Chris

affection.gif((((Dearest))))affection.gif

I am SO sorry that you are having to deal with ALL of this....on top of mourning for your Dear Mom. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you. I wish there was something that I could do to help you.....as it is I am hoping that those darn 'gremlins' that are mucking around in here....GO AWAY!!

In my thoughts as always

:wub: Dottie :wub:

I am SO frustrated. The HTML code inside my messages was altered by the board upgrade. Now, many of the links in my messages don't work. When this first happened after the upgrade, I manually edited hundreds of messages, only touching the tip of the iceberg of my 5,400 (approx) messages. I didn't get any replies from the board's tech support people over an entire weekend - last weekend. Finally, I heard from them on Monday after writing to them on Friday night. They told me of a feature in the Admin area where I could rebuild the messages and that should fix the HTML code and make the links the way I originally posted them. WRONG!

Not only did that not work, but all the messages I had already manually done now need redoing, which is what I've been doing the past 6 hours! Now, again, it's a weekend and I'm still awaiting a reply from tech support for hours. My biggest concern are the Important Topics at the top of every forum directing people toward various sections and articles on the site relating to that forum.

This is just too much for me. While others have the time to play in insta-chat, I'm always working in the background. Is it any wonder I don't get a chance to post on the board much anymore?

I'm very annoyed, but I have no option other than to repair what's been damaged - so much work down the drain.

If you see any messages where the links don't work, please send me a PM with a link to the message. If you don't know how to figure out how to get a link to the specific message, just copy and paste the URL (address) into the PM and tell me what forum and topic it's in.

Dearest

Update: 2:30 AM -- 8 1/2 hours now

Poor Dearest - computers are a real bug-bear - it must be so frustrating for you to redo all that work like that.

(On a far smaller scale than yours, I know, I have been struggling to rebuild my pc software from scratch over the weekend (I needed to get my pc working urgently for my son's schoolwork) - it's taken me the whole weekend, days and late evenings) and I have had similar frustrations with my technical support not being there too this weekend so I can sympathise with those feelings! )

{{{Hugs}}} to you! Remember - it will sort out in the end - it's just so Grr... annoying and frustrating for you! Do you have those squidgy stress bricks in the US that you can throw across the room?