Can anyone tell me if your computer needs to have certain programs installed in order to get to the chat area? It always freezes . I have posted this other places , but have gotten no response so far.thank you bingo1

Bingo... I have no problem getting into the chat area, but I do recall that the first time one goes there, there is something that pops up on the screen to be installed in order to use the chat (sorry, I have forgotten what this is called)...  I am sure you must have seen that and done it.... you can't miss it.

I am thinking this could be a computer problem... maybe you don't have enough memory?  That can cause screen freeze and lockup, especially if you are accessing through AOL...  AOL uses alot of memory, especially the new 7.0 AOL.  

I don't know what else could be wrong....  maybe someone else does?

Bingo -- thank goodness for Vicki!!  There are a lot of us who go to her when we have a computer problem. :biggrin:Good luck -- with I could help.  Isn't the program called jaba or java or something like that ?  Oh never mind -- what do I know?! LOL

Yes, I think it is a Java program, Eileen, but I really can't remember exactly what the popup says....wish I could.  Thx for the compliment, too, Eileen, but I think there are alot more people who know much more than I do, lol....    :biggrin:   I have just learned things from the beaucoup problems I have had with computers over the years.... one of the most frequent has been not enough memory, especially with AOL (since 1.0, in fact).  Right now, because of the installation of 7.0, I have had to reduce my hardware acceleration quite a bit, which sometimes affects my other programs.  :(  

True about Vickie, Eileen, and another of Power Surge's technical gurus for the past eight+ years is our own MaryO and, hey, ?I'm not chopped liver either :biggrin:

It is called a Java chat client. Every Java chat room (those are the nicest) requires you to download a java client before it can load and allow you access to the chat room. On your first visit you will be prompted to download the software. You can feel totally safe doing so and once you have, you should have no problems getting into the chat room on subsequent visits.

As for any other problems you may be having accessing the chat room, as Vickie said, it could be due to AOL if you're logging on through there. I've been on AOL for about 10 years. It's a very crowded service, their software eats up memory and as the largest Internet service provider in the world, it can get awfully crowded. Also, there could be conflicts between something on your computer, such as a firewall and the chat room.

Suggestion for anyone logging onto the Internet via AOL. You don't have to use AOL to access any area of the Web site. You can minimize the AOL software and go to your desktop and click on Internet Explorer. In that way you're bypassing some of the crowd on AOL by not using their browser.The chats are normally held at At 9 PM, ET, which is the busiest time on AOL because that's when all the west coasters are logging on after dinner.

Dearest

MaryO, I know this isn't the right topic for the question, bu, bear with me please. While sending birthday greetings this am, I noticed that you said "click here'" to add. Well I did and the subjest was closed. I couldn't add. Am I doing something wrong? Can you help me out with an answer please? Thank you MaryO. Peace Cabo

Quote: from Cabo on 1:31 pm on Oct. 21, 2002[br]MaryO, I know this isn't the right topic for the question, bu, bear with me please. While sending birthday greetings this am, I noticed that you said "click here'" to add. Well I did and the subjest was closed. I couldn't add. Am I doing something wrong? Can you help me out with an answer please? Thank you MaryO. Peace Cabo
Shows why copy and paste aren't always a good idea :(  I'd forgotten that the original topic had been closed.

I took the opportunity to start a new topic, just for posting birthday dates, so they won't be confused with greetings for other people.  You can find that here: Add your birthday here.

Thanks for letting me know :)

What message boards have you lost, Vickie? Looks like everything's here from my vantage point. ?

Dearest

On second thought, while doing some maintenance, I found a few boards were having problems, i.e., the Joint Aches and Pains board, "The Place To Start Your Day," the "Depression" board, "Palpitations" and others. I'm pruning all the boards (not too different from pruning roses when they grow too tall) and that should correct the problems. In the process, however, just like with rose bushes, some posts and topics may be lost.

Let me know if you find any others I miss.

Looks like it's time for a new board

Dearest

Hi Alice  :)

I have no message boards at all this evening under the following topics:

"The Place to Start Your Day""My Doctor's Attitude""Palpitations/Heart Issues""Panic Attacks/Disorder""Depression""Men, This One's For You""Naturally Compounded Hormones/ NHRT"Osteoporosis/Bone Loss""Bleeding""Other Midlife Health Issues"

Yup, I saw those needed pruning. They're fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Could be any number of reasons -- mostly needed maintenance.

Dearest

Thanks very much for checking it out Alice....  I am sure you are an excellent pruner, but sorry that it is probably so time consuming for you!   :(  

The ones I listed are the only ones I saw as I went through the list and checked them all.  

No problem, dear Vickie. Pruning is part of the job description. You know like the three "B's" of music: Beethoven, Bach and Brahms - in Power Surge, it's the three "P's" - pausing, palpitations and pruning :biggrin:

Dearest

Wellll.... guess that didn't resolve all the problems.

Some topics may not "show" here and there, such as the active topic in "The Place To Start Your Day," but I'm in the process of moving the entire database over to a new board because this one has given me too many problems. Many boards were missing, so I had to do some maintenance, but in doing so, I notice a couple of topics are not showing although they are still actually on the server. Please be patient and things will be restored to normal (what's normal?) as soon as possible.

Grrrr.. what a way to start a weekend! &%$#&*#^$@

Thanks,Dearest

Oh dear, you are really right about that....   a lousy way to start out a weekend!  I am really sorry the problem is going to take a bit more work than initially thought.  :(   We will just have to be patient and do what we can to help.  Let us know if there is anything we can do.  :)

I have received some E.mails that the Estrogen and Hormone Replacement Therapy board is down and they're absolutely right. This has been an ongoing problem of late and it may become necessary to put up an entirely new board. I'm working on trying to resolve the problem.

For now, those interested in posting/reading about HRT, please use the Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy - NHRT board instead.

Thanks,Dearest

Anyone else having the problem that I am?   Seems as if the whole site isn't fitting on the screen like it used to.  My right side is cut off.  Up where the Power Surge Quick Links, I can't even go there.  Is it me?  No problems anywhere else I go.

Quote: from Suseyq on 9:08 pm on Feb. 8, 2003Anyone else having the problem that I am? ? Seems as if the whole site isn't fitting on the screen like it used to. ?My right side is cut off. ?Up where the Power Surge Quick Links, I can't even go there. ?Is it me? ?No problems anywhere else I go.
SuseyQ, I don't know what size monitor you are using, but I did increase the width of the boards in order to try and make the pages shorter. If you're having the problem, others may be, too. I have reduced the width to the original size, so you won't have the problem any longer.

We keep trying new things. Sometimes we succeed. Sometimes we fail, but our main concern is making sure everyone is happy, so next time you return, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Best,Dearest

Thanks Dearest,      Besides fixing computers, you can explain them to those of us who think it is just gremlins messing with our computers.   I had the same width problem, but was sure I had adjusted something without knowing what I had done. You are amazing!  I first came to this site to learn about peri/meno and have received the BONUS of learning more every day about computers. My family is shocked  :shocked:  that I am starting to be able to fix a few of my own computer problems.     LOL   Thanks,       ~Helen

Dearest:  Ask and ye shall receive!  I have a 17" flat monitor, it is now looking perfect on Power Surge.  Thanks!

Quote: from Suseyq on 9:00 am on Feb. 9, 2003Dearest: ?Ask and ye shall receive! ?I have a 17" flat monitor, it is now looking perfect on Power Surge. ?Thanks!
That's what we're here for, Suseyq :)

Dearest

Will there be a Todays Posts link? I liked that. :wink:

Alice3,

I'm with you, - I'm not very good with computers and I'm new to message boards - that made it really easy for me to see what was going on and if I had to log out of the site I could still go back to the posts that I was looking at without trying to remember where I was. I have this memory problem sometimes...HA HA. The section on posts since my last visit is nice, but I liked the "Todays Posts" better. That was my only problem, I think this site is great - I am just starting to get into it, wish I had found it sooner! Good Job Everyone!

Will there be a Todays Posts link? I liked that.
At the top right there are:

View posts since last visit

View your posts

View unanswered posts

View posts since last visit should be close to what you're looking for.