Hi Gladie :D

Dearest has posted a Link for you, 2 posts back on this thread :lol:

Julie x

Important Note:

If you don't want anything personal known about yourself, you have complete control over that. You don't have to create a profile.

Unfortunately, this message board along with every other message board on the Internet is considered, "Public Domain." What with the various search engines, such as Google going through this message board and indexing messages and information for their search engine, it's entirely possible that anything you post "publicly" can pop up in one of the search engines.

I've always made it a point not to get too personal in any of my messages with the knowledge that this information is not entirely private.

My suggestion would be to select a username that won't be identified with you. Never, under any circumstances, should you use your real name as your username. Also, never post your real name, address, phone number, E.mail address OR anything that's very personal that you'd prefer keeping private. Remember, too, that despite Power Surge's Privacy Statement, I can't promise that if you post your E.mail address, that some marketing people who sign up for the board, or anyone looking to harvest E.mail addresses for their mailing lists - can't grab your E.mail address if you've posted it or opted to make it public and bombard you with E.mail. They won't get it from Power Surge. I don't give away or sell any information about Power Surge's members. That's also why the default on these boards is to keep members E.mail addresses private. You have control over that.

I don't see anything wrong with posting messages about what you're feeling -- even if it's on the intimate forums, such as Sexuality and Libido. However, you have nothing to be concerned about if your username isn't easily identifiable. I would also avoid using the same username if you post on various sites' message boards.

Years ago, even before there was Windows, I belonged to various local Bulletin Boards. The Internet was different then - it was almost a sacred, private place. Today, things are different. We have very little privacy.

So, I recommend that if you don't want something *known* about you, don't post it on any public message board. That doesn't mean that you have to become paranoid about sharing your feelings and thoughts. However, a little discretion is always the wisest way to go.

I would also avoid using the same username if you post on various sites' message boards.

UhOh! I think I'm MaryO practically everywhere LOL

I might be missing something but if I am by the looks of others spelling I am not the only one. Is there spell check when posting? If so where is it? If not it would be nice to have, sometimes I look carefully but things get past me and I re-read what I have posted and think oh-boy do I need to go back to school!

Thanks in advance for the reply,

No, there's no spell check on this version of the boards. If you're using Internet Explorer, you can download a spell check for that which works everywhere that you use this browser.

Other than that, if you're really concerned, or if your connection to the internet goes out often, you can write your post in a program like Word and spell check it before you post. Doing that, if your connection goes out on you, you won't have to retype your thoughts later.

Some email clients, like AOL, also have spell check, so you can use that feature to check your posts before responding.

Yes, of course - I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise :)

It's available several places, but the main site is http://www.iespell.com and it's completely free. I've used it for at least a year or so with no problem.

Dear MaryO:

Maybe you can help me??? I'm such a numnut that when I first started using these message boards I used my first and last name as my username. I would like to change this for obvious reasons. Can you please tell me how to go about this????

Thanks!

Gladie

gladie,

Generally, we can't/don't change usernames, but seeing as how you've posted 8 messages already, click this link and contact us at http://www.power-surge.com/php/contactUs.php3 to see if we can change your name so you can retain your posts.

Dearest

Gladie, Dearest posted the above info for you awhile ago. That's the only way that you can change your name and keep the posts that you have.

If you don't want to do that, you can start from scratch and sign up again with a new user name.

O.K. I am completely computer challenged! Can you please explain to me how you quote someone like you did above Maryo.

About those avatars! How can I upload one of my own to use? When I tried to address this in another thread, I was told I "didn't have permission to start a new topic...HELP!!! I just want to upload my own picture, and I'm not given that option or a space for it in My COntrols! What did I do wrong??

Thanks!

~~Laurie :blink:

About those avatars!  How can I upload one of my own to use? When I tried to address this in another thread, I was told I "didn't have permission to start a new topic...HELP!!! I just want to upload my own picture, and I'm not given that option or a space for it in My COntrols! What did I do wrong??

Thanks!

~~Laurie :blink:

Laurie,

You didn't do anything wrong re uploading a picture. I simply don't allow uploading of personal images/avatars because, 1) There's always the danger of a virus and 2) I don't know where the images come from and am concerned about copyright infringement.

Neither means that a virus or copyright infringement would be intentional on the part of the member. However, if I allow one member to upload pictures, anyone who signs up for the board will be able to do it and we've had some problems with hackers signing up for the boards and creating havoc.

As for not having permission to reply in certain topics, some topics are closed. They're only for administrative purposes. You might want to read this message for new members. You won't be able to reply there since it's a closed topic.

If someone can't start a new topic or reply to an existing topic it's either because of the reason above, OR that they haven't validated their E.mail address and don't have access to posting - just reading.

Is there a way to change the sorting order of posts within a thread? When I click on a thread within a forum, it always displays post #1 first, and I scroll and "next page" until finding the current/most recent post.

I'd like to see the chronological order of posts, displaying most recent, sorting to historic. Is this possible?

I've tried the "search" feature, found no answer. I've looked through this thread, and found that last year and earlier there were issues with the fundamental board. Nothing in the "My Controls" section. So I'll take a breath and ask here.

Thanks, in advance!

I'd like to see the chronological order of posts, displaying most recent, sorting to historic.  Is this possible?

On the main page of the boards, http://www.power-surge.com/php/forum/index.php, look at the right hand side. Click on the name of the post and it will take you to the newest one.

To read them backwards order, just hit the arrows at the bottom left if there are several pages per topic. To go to the most recent past message, click the ? Next Oldest link near the middle bottom of the boards.

Welcome to Power Surge, Oblio.

Thank you for the very helpful tips.

I was afraid I'd be facing carpel tunnel syndrome from so many mouse clicks. Carpel tunnel and hot flashes too .... oh boy! :blink:

Thank you, too, for the welcome. I'm reading, absorbing, learning. Feels like it will be quite awhile before I have anything to contribute. I appreciate the wealth of information at this Forum.

Hello

I just changed computers & now i can't get into chat room.

I didn't have this problem on my old computer.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry I missed chat but i couldn't log in.

Angel0508 :)

Hi Mary

Thanks for the help!

My Java was blocked somehow

& i had to redownload & install.

These new computers sure are fussing.

See You Thursday!

Have a nice week!

Angel0508

Angel, check out the tips that Dearest provided here:  2005: Chat Room Problems, READ If You're Having Chat Room Problems

Thanks for the heads up link, Mary :) You been da link Queen for more years than I can remember :D

Let me add that there are a few subjects concerning the chat room that you can read at the top of the "Board / Site Info, Questions, Problems" that may or may not be covered in that one message.

Dearest

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that if you google your *** name (I did because I was checking for my web site) that your name comes up on google and people can get in and read your letters. I am shocked that this is so - I do not want the general public reading letters I have written here. Please help me find out how to wipe my name out of the web site. Thanks

Mary

*** Board Administrator: name = username on this board

Mary, anyone can read these boards - if you look at the members online, you'll always see hundreds of guests -- some of them are search engines indexing the boards as they index the site every day.

This is why the guidelines that everyone reads and agrees to when they sign up say in part "12) This message board can be read by anyone. It is also indexed by the various search engines. Avoid posting anything too personal, such as real name, address, telephone number, or anything you wouldn't want someone to read on the Internet." To review all they guidelines, go here: http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=5401

This is pretty much true of any website that you will ever go to. Google and other search engines will index them regularly and put any information that you may have added into their search engine. That's how they operate.

You can always sign up with a new name that isn't related to you in any way, like Zebra15 or something and then it can't possibly be traced back to you, unless you raise zebras.

If you write to the Board Administrator, you may be able to have your name removed from the boards.

Thanks for your reply, Mary O

I believe it was only one email, in introduce yourself, where I used my actual name. Can you tell me how to email the board administrator so that I can get that one email removed?

Thanks

M.

To help solve any problem easier, there's a form at http://www.power-surge.com/php/contactUs.php3 Be sure to provide your username (MaryP) so that your post(s) can be more easily found.

I just did a search of the boards (Search the message boards) and nothing on the Introduce Yourself board came up for you, so I'm not sure where your post would be.

When you click on a person's name, her (or his) profile comes up. From therem you can click on Find member's posts. I did that for you and couldn't see any posts that looked like it had more of a name than MaryP.

It would be really helpful to the Board Administrator if you could locate your post using either search feature and include the URL in your message.

Thanks for the heads up link, Mary :) You been da link Queen for more years than I can remember :D

Yeah, I know. I do remember that there was a ceremony on AOL crowning me and everything. I probably have that saved somewhere in my Favorites :)

Ah, the good old days...

Hi...I have a question....I rarely go into my control panel, but I did this morning where I found an alert:

EMAIL WARNING

Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc.

PLEASE change your email address immediately.

It's in USE by another ACCOUNT??????? What on earth does that mean? My email address has been changed? To WHAT? Rather concerned about this...this email is directly through my ISP...not a hotmail account or something....

Please get back to me as soon as possible on this.

Thanks,

Pam

P.S. I have no idea how long this alert has been here...

MizzUla, most everyone who was a member before the upgrade has that message on these new boards. On the past boards it was possible to sign up with more than one username but the same email address.

On these boards, it's one name per email. It's related to a "convergence" feature. When the board upgrade was done, the board assumed that people had more names than email addresses and produced that message.

So, not to worry!