Cell Phone Numbers Being Released To Telemarketing Companies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY

REMINDER: Sixteen (16) days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888.382.1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL REGISTRY. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

You must call from the cell phone number you are wanting to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

You can also register your landline telephone number(s) via the above toll-free number, but you MUST CALL FROM THE NUMBER YOU ARE REGISTERING -- OR you can register any number online at www.DoNotCall.gov

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

Dearest

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#2 moonlight

moonlight

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for posting this Dearest...nothing is more frustrating than getting a call from a telemarketer on my cell phone!!

*Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.* ~Leo Buscaglia~

#3 mrsb76

mrsb76

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  • Interests:I love to knit, I'm also a reader and I work too much! I'd love to have more time at home with DH.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reminder,Dearest! I had heard about this.They'll get us one way or another, won't they?? mad.gif
Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. John Quincy Adams

#4 candies 123

candies 123

Senior Surgette

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:travel, dining out, books, movies

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

they texted me on both my husband and my phone !!!!!! And we pay for texting!!! What a nerve Something for travel-go figure and i work for aaa travel!!!!!! That made me even more infuriated!!!! I registered, but one of my coworkers said that doesnt count !!!! Its crazy-its bad enough when we get junk calls at home. Now the cell phones oh god where does it end!!!! I registered all phones-another thing government should do is prohibit spam on computer, its gotten completely out of hand, and the cookies with the banners. This is terrible, i would love to go back to the 1970s and 60s before we had all this stuff!!!!!

#5 Susie Q

Susie Q

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Cats, Horses, Old country music, Old Pop and Rock and Roll, Contemporary Christian Music.

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thank You Dearest. Very much appreciated!!!!

Susie

#6 thugnation213

thugnation213

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

OMG...thats terrible

#7 Dotcalm2u

Dotcalm2u

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Dear Dearest

Thankyou for this very valuable information. I will let my daughter know immediately. This way when I have a hissy fit about her monthly charges....she can not blame unwanted soliciters....just unwanted suiters. dry.gif

Does this apply to Canada? Oh well if it doesn't, I will seek out a number for the Canadian cells.

Much obliged
Cheers
Dottie
~~ *Buying a Computer ... $999.00* ~~ *Having Internet ...$25.00* ~~ *Finding Power Surge... Priceless** ~~

*-:?:-?:*'''''*:?.-:?:-?**?-:?:-?:*'''''*:?-:?:-?*

#8 moonlight

moonlight

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

I registered both my landline and cell numbers but unfortunately still get unwanted calls all the time....

*Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.* ~Leo Buscaglia~

#9 Darkpress

Darkpress

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

This is an Urban Legend. Go to Snopes, search for "cell phone". This nonsense will be at the top of the list.

No disrespect to Dearest..might want to check these things out before posting, though.

Oh and I've been hit with strange calls, too, at times..funny thing is, I can get an odd call, then my roommate will get the same call ten minutes later, and we're on different cell networks. I'm inclined to think that these "cell spammers" have found a way to infiltrate the cell networks themselves, and aren't targeting anyone from a list or directory.

#10 Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Violin, Music, Sports, and yes my favorite--God.

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

All of my numbers are registered. I don't get too many solicitors.