• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

This skin, PowerSurge, is the new skin I mentioned earlier.

If you hate it and want to go back to the original (although some things may no longer work), go to the bottom left of any area and choose "Change Skin" to IP.Board

Attached File  change-skin.jpg   30.43KB   0 downloads

If you change your mind later, you can always switch back to PowerSurge.

There may be things that need fixing.  If so, please post them here.

Thanks!

#2 sunnyjoe

sunnyjoe

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think it looks great!  Thank you so much for all of your hard work.  Will there be a chance to donate to cover hosting costs?

#3 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I just posted about that under the donations page that Dearest had set up.

Here's a copy of what it says there:

I have decided to use WePay - https://www.wepay.co...r-surge-running for donations because they will show the total amount of donations at all times and the donor names, although you can choose to be anonymous.

Each month, we will need $99 for the website; every 6 months, $35 for the boards or $1,258 for the year.  I have put up the goal amount as $1,258 so that we can keep this same campaign for a year (until September 2014), rather than making a new page each month.

The fees that WePay takes:

Invoices and API Payments

Credit card payments: 2.9% + 30¢

Bank account (ACH) payments: 1% +30¢

There are no other fees to use WePay.  No monthly fees, no additional fees, no hidden fees.

Thank you so much to any of you who will help keep Dearest's information and legacy alive.

~~~

Thanks so much for asking!

#4 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Changes so far:

You can now Log on with Facebook

If anyone would like, I can set up a log on with Twitter or Windows Live

The bottom of each post includes various "sharing icons" so that you can spread the good word about Power Surge.

I have closed these boards up a bit more.  Guests can no longer read what is posted here.  They must sign up and log on.

Would anyone like the Insta-Chat / Shoutbox back?

I am working on making the fonts a bit bigger for my older eyes :)

#5 Gracie62

Gracie62

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Mary, the site looks great.  I'm not sure how I feel about closing the boards to guests though, not that I have a say in how you are managing this and I think you are doing a great job with it, but there are many women who find great relief when they visit the site looking for answers, that's how I started, just as an observer, then after 2 years I joined.  Now that the site is malware free, more and more women will come back, but they might be discouraged if they can't get into the boards as a guest first, you know, just to see if this place is for them.   They might just want to see what PS is all about without joining/   I know when I visit other sites and they want me to join, I exit out of it because I'm just checking it out to see if it's for me. 

Maybe once the traffic starts flowing here like it did 2 or 3 years ago, then maybe close the boards to guests.  That's just my opinion, like I said, you know what you're doing here! :D

Gracie

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.

#6 tinkybug

tinkybug

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, helping people, and gardening.
    I am trying to find myself the real me to try and be good to myself and live life as if its my last.
    I Love my God and want to serve and Do His will.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Changes so far:

You can now Log on with Facebook

If anyone would like, I can set up a log on with Twitter or Windows Live

The bottom of each post includes various "sharing icons" so that you can spread the good word about Power Surge.

I have closed these boards up a bit more.  Guests can no longer read what is posted here.  They must sign up and log on.

Would anyone like the Insta-Chat / Shoutbox back?

I am working on making the fonts a bit bigger for my older eyes :)

Haaaa Mary O the board looks great especially the beautiful heading where it says Powersurge with that ray of light means hope to me.

I like the idea about the font to for my older eyes.

I do think Gracie might have a point to about the guest part of it all you ponder it and see what your heart tells you.

God bless you always

Luv and hugs

The tinks

#7 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

My thinking was - so many women were adamant about the Facebook group being secret so I thought that they might like more privacy here.

I know that FB is more open, with real names, and here it's (usually) screen names.

I can certainly reopen this.

#8 tinkybug

tinkybug

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, helping people, and gardening.
    I am trying to find myself the real me to try and be good to myself and live life as if its my last.
    I Love my God and want to serve and Do His will.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

My thinking was - so many women were adamant about the Facebook group being secret so I thought that they might like more privacy here.

I know that FB is more open, with real names, and here it's (usually) screen names.

I can certainly reopen this.

Haaaa Yes Mary O you have a very good point to a very good point

#9 phine

phine

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

I like this new look!!! :D

#10 ahalverson

ahalverson

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Organic gardening, hiking and working out, prowling around interesting old junk stores for treasures, trips to the ocean...

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Wow-- the site looks beautiful. Mary O, thank you for all your hard work! I tend to agree with Gracie about keeping the boards open to viewing by guests. That's how I found my way here... Wouldn't have ever joined off the bat, because I didn't yet know what I was experiencing "fit". Once I read post after post the light went on in my head and I began to understand. Heaven knows many women will be searching desperately just like we all were. If we can make it simpler for them find their way, I'd be in favor of keeping posts open to view. Just my opinion... And thanks again!- (the only issue I'm having is that the print when posting a reply isn't contrasted in color so it's difficult to see what I've written)

#11 sunnyjoe

sunnyjoe

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

I also lean in favor of this site being open to guests for exactly the reasons Gracie and ahalverson have mentioned.  I feel screen names give me enough privacy here vs. real names (and built in links to people I know in Facebook).  Will respect whatever is decided though.  I'll go check out the donation link.  Thank you for making the costs and accumulated funds transparent to us.  

#12 jelee

jelee

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much Mary for your dedication to keeping power-surge up and running. I know it's often said but for those of us who have felt very isolated during peri, these boards are gems. The new skin looks great!
Yay - my first post in over two years of coming here :)

#13 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Excellent - welcome, Jelee!

#14 wildflowers

wildflowers

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think (just my opinion here..) the boards should remain open for guests to view as it has been in the past, unless being open would cause malware stuff..to happen again.

#15 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ok, guests are free to read here again :)

#16 AA#1

AA#1

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:This is my personal statement: You have got to be taught to hate and fear...You have got to be taught from year to year...Its got to be drummed in your dear little ear...You have got to be carefully taught..You have got to be taught to be afraid..Of people whose eyes are oddly made..And people whose skin is a different shade...You have got to be carefully taught...You have got to be taught before its too late..Before you are six or seven or eight...To hate all the people your relatives hate....You have got to be carefully taught...You have got to be carefully taught ...Lets try to change this world..it begins with YOU!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

I think the new boards look great.......i did try to log into the big chat...but I still cant get in....i dont know why...thats what sent me away from PS to begin with....if you have time can you check out whats going on there...I know alot of the old timers loved to chat in the chatroom but can no longer get in....and also If i log on thru Fb ...how do I do that...?

~~~~ Peace AA~~~~

#17 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

It may be that the chatroom license expired - I'll have to check on that when I get a minute to breathe.

When you log in, there's an option to log in with Facebook, along with the normal option.

#18 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

I just logged into the chatroom - it requires Java 7

#19 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

AA (or anyone), about how many people at a time were in the chatroom.  

I have these choices:

You do not currently have an IP.Chat plan 

• No IP.Chat

• 5 Users    Free

• 20 Users    $10/yr

• 50 Users    $15/yr

• 250 Users    $40/yr

#20 JES80

JES80

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

breath maryO, breath.  

you have done a wonderful job and the board looks great.  i'm an old timer, and i've come back once in a while to just look around and read a little.  i know just enough to know that you have been a busy bee trying to get things back up and running smoothly again. sorry its under the sad circumstances for you...sending you big hugs for your hard work.  :wub: 
and hoping we get enough donations to keep it going...that is my prayer now.  :)

it has ended...i think!

Posted Image...Niki Posted Image ...Bandit
Hubby lives in a house full of declining estrogen...LOOK OUT!!!

#21 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thanks so much, Jess :)

We have enough donations right now for over 2 months and that's fantastic for the first day.

AA, I just installed a new chatroom - just the free 5-person one for now.  If it's really popular, then we can think about upgrading.

#22 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Wow!  55 registrations so far today. And the day isn't over yet...

Attached File  registrations.jpg   50.8KB   0 downloads

#23 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Posting new topics.

Some categories don't allow new topics. Dearest set some up that way.   The ones that do have a button that says "Start New Topic" above and below the current topics, on the right hand side.

Here's a sample from http://www.power-sur...hp?showforum=11 General Issues (Non-Menopausal)

Attached File  new-topic.jpg   66.55KB   0 downloads

#24 angelindskies

angelindskies

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

are we registering to donate or to remain a member or both. I am confused.

so what else is new?

Posting new topics.

Some categories don't allow new topics. Dearest set some up that way.   The ones that do have a button that says "Start New Topic" above and below the current topics, on the right hand side.

Here's a sample from http://www.power-sur...hp?showforum=11 General Issues (Non-Menopausal)

attachicon.gifnew-topic.jpg

are we registering to donate or to remain a member or both? or maybe for something else.
as I feel I often am, I am confused. thank u bundles!
(((angel)))
beautifulme.gif
menopause = identity theft