• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

I got a phone call from Alice (Dearest's) daughter today.  The family would like me to shut down Power Surge.

The main site is virtually gone as of this afternoon.  I asked her for a week to get everyone on the message boards prepared for this.

We still have a secret board on Facebook.  If anyone wants to join that, please let me know your email and I'll let you in.

There is also an open group on FB at https://www.facebook...55396567848457/

When I thought that these boards might be gone last September, I set up a private board on my own forum at http://cushings.invisionzone.com/ if anyone is interested in those.

I am very torn up about this.  Alice and I were friends for so long and we worked so hard together on this.  I guess, in my mind, I was trying to keep her "alive" by keeping this going.

I am very sorry :(

#62 Trish44

Trish44

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Mary this will be devastating for many. I thought they gave you the rights to this site. I thought this site was paid until April or May?

#63 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

They did and it is.  Someone is threatening a lawsuit and the family can't deal with that in addition to everything else :(

I've contacted to folks for help with possibly moving the boards.  If that can happen, the board URL would look something like http://powersurge.invisionzone.com/

#64 Trish44

Trish44

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Wow, so sad to hear. Well you can only do what you can do. I think then we should  step back and take the positive out of the negative and look at that you are offering a FB group. I hope the ladies who feel this will be devastating that regardless everything and everyone will be ok. Thank you for offering the FB group. A lot less stress and hassle to take care of maintenance part of it . I just FB requested Mary :)

#65 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

It occurs to me that since I removed what they wanted removed, maybe the boards can stay.  It still might be better on their server since they would do automatic upgrades.  

I'll see what the Invisionboard folks come back with.

AACCCKKKK

I had so many other things planned to do today than dismantling a website.

#66 Trish44

Trish44

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Whatever you can do will be appreciated.  At least you have a back up plan :)

#67 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Trish, where did you make the FB request?  I'm not seeing it.  I need your email address (or you to friend me on FB)

#68 spazz/tanya

spazz/tanya

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • Interests:trashy novels,jigsaw puzzles,sock monkey's

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I pm'd you mary with my email :) <3

#69 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

The message board hosting people got back to me...

Hello.

Yes, that should be possible.

From the quick look I had of the forum, it appears to be reasonably busy, and 40 or so people are visiting it right now.

Our hosting packages are based on the average number of visitors, sampled every 15 minutes and averaged over two days, so a temporary spike in visitors won't matter; the average does.

If what I saw was a good average, our Plus 40 package would work.

And we do offer a free transfer to our hosting, yes, so we'd be able to move it here as long as we are provided with FTP access, and SSH or phpMyAdmin access to make a database backup.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

#70 Deserthen

Deserthen

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Baking, Photography, Wine, Family, My Cats, Our Dogs and Raising My Backyard Chickens.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Well this sounds like it could be good news! Keeping fingers crossed! These boards are a lifesaver to so many! Thank you, Thank you Mary for working so hard to save what you can of PS and for putting your own plans for the day aside to work on this critical issue! GIANT HUGS to you! :wub:

Deserthen
~Battling the perimenomonster one day at a time~

#71 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

I have requested that they go ahead with the move.

#72 pleasedonteatthedaisies

pleasedonteatthedaisies

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I don't visit often, but when I feel concerned about something , the ladies here are so reassuring. I hope you will be able to continue. I don't know of any other site like it! Thanks and good wishes.

#73 flipundy

flipundy

Senior Surgette

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I clicked the link I had saved to the message boards and I couldn't get in. Now that I got in and know whats going on, Im very sorry:(  I just got here and found comfort here. Im going to try to find the facebook pages to join there. Hopefully, the board can stay up here.

#74 spazz/tanya

spazz/tanya

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I clicked the link I had saved to the message boards and I couldn't get in. Now that I got in and know whats going on, Im very sorry:(  I just got here and found comfort here. Im going to try to find the facebook pages to join there. Hopefully, the board can stay up here.

Flip , send Mary a Private message for an invite :)

#75 Peri-winkle

Peri-winkle

Surgette

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Having a rough day for the first time in a while.  So, I decided to check in on Power-surge, only to find it gone.  So saddened to see that.   Somehow, I found this forum site tonight.  I hope there is a way to keep a message board of some type going.  It was always so helpful to read from others going through similar things.   All of the specific categories made it 100% better than other message boards out there.

#76 Deserthen

Deserthen

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Cooking, Baking, Photography, Wine, Family, My Cats, Our Dogs and Raising My Backyard Chickens.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Mary, Keep us posted on the move and if anything will change such as the url or name for access. (does that even make sense? lol) And again, Thank you for all that you are doing!

Deserthen
~Battling the perimenomonster one day at a time~

#77 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

Having a rough day for the first time in a while.  So, I decided to check in on Power-surge, only to find it gone.  So saddened to see that.   Somehow, I found this forum site tonight.  I hope there is a way to keep a message board of some type going.  It was always so helpful to read from others going through similar things.   All of the specific categories made it 100% better than other message boards out there.

Power Surge isn't gone - we're still here :)

#78 spazz/tanya

spazz/tanya

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

YES WE ARE !!!!! STILL HERE MY BEAUTIFUL SISTERS  :wub:

THANK YOU MARY !! for fighting so hard to keep this alive  :wub:

Power Surge isn't gone - we're still here :)

Edited by spazz/tanya, 21 March 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#79 kat66

kat66

Senior Surgette

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

So glad site still here saved my sanity many a time I posted for years under Kath S .So very sorry to hear that it may cease to be here though.seems like lots of circumstances building up . Think you are doing a great job MaryO however it all goes I'm sure your lovely friend Alice would have been so proud of all you have accomplished . Powersurge has been my glint of light at the end of a very dark tunnel so pleased to have been a part of it. Thank you MaryO and good luck in your endeavour to keep PS up and running

#80 Peri-winkle

Peri-winkle

Surgette

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

Very glad to find this.  Thank you so much.

Perhaps others are unable to find this board, as I initially could not find it.  My process was first going to the old Power-surge.com.  That site says to go to power-surge.co.  I didn't see any message board links, so thought it was just gone.  Later in the day I typed "What happened to power surge menopause boards?" and happened to see one choice that ended up being link to this page.  That is the only way I found it. 

Is there a way to link to this location on the new home page, or is that not allowed?  It could be that others went through the same steps I did, and also think it is completely gone.  Don't want anyone else to miss finding it.

Thanks!

#81 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

I can link to the message boards on the current front page of Power Surge.

Yesterday was a terrible day, dismantling the whole rest of the website, deleting, saving stuff to my own hard drive for use later on power-surge.co and putting together a new front page, communicating with Invision (the authors of this software), getting people into the FB group - in addition to some other stuff going on in my life.  

I didn't link to the boards yesterday because I figure people who knew where they were, already knew.  At this moment, it's not a good idea to take on a lot of new members while things are being packed up for a possible move.  I hadn't considered that current members might have lost the link.  I'll do that today.

It was nearly like Alice had died all over again for me.

#82 ahalverson

ahalverson

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Organic gardening, hiking and working out, prowling around interesting old junk stores for treasures, trips to the ocean...

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

God bless you Mary. This hasn't been easy for you and we know it. Thank you for taking on such a labor of love. Alice's legacy lives because of you. Xo, Annie

#83 surly

surly

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I am so glad to find this site still here today !  I am not on facebook and was wondering what I was going to do without power surge !  I get so much helpful information from these boards...they are such a lifeline for me. Thank you !

#84 Isla

Isla

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

I have a bookmark which goes directly to http://www.power-sur...arch_app=forums.  Is that where we are, or not?  Maybe I'm not here at all! :unsure:

Isla

#85 tinkybug

tinkybug

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, helping people, and gardening.
    I am trying to find myself the real me to try and be good to myself and live life as if its my last.
    I Love my God and want to serve and Do His will.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

I can link to the message boards on the current front page of Power Surge.

Yesterday was a terrible day, dismantling the whole rest of the website, deleting, saving stuff to my own hard drive for use later on power-surge.co and putting together a new front page, communicating with Invision (the authors of this software), getting people into the FB group - in addition to some other stuff going on in my life.  

I didn't link to the boards yesterday because I figure people who knew where they were, already knew.  At this moment, it's not a good idea to take on a lot of new members while things are being packed up for a possible move.  I hadn't considered that current members might have lost the link.  I'll do that today.

It was nearly like Alice had died all over again for me.

Mary O I am so sorry sending you lots of hugs and support we are all behind you just do what you can with what you have I dont understand what is going on but I am sure however this lands will be a good landing praying anyways.

Thanks for keeping this afloat dont worry Alice knows it all now no worries be well please take care of yourself to.

God bless you always

A very grateful little bug tinky nut

#86 Mojopearl

Mojopearl

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Your hard work is greatly appreciated. Sending a big hug.

#87 Abby1

Abby1

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Walking,Reading,Entering competitions,Football,Collecting Yankee Candles/Kipling Bags and Gardening

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

Im so sorry MaryO to hear of this recent disruption to this wonderful site and the upset it has caused you :(

This site and the supportive ladies on here have been invaluable to me and I don't know what I would have done without it. It has inspired me to help others suffering with extreme Peri/Menopausal symptoms in my community when I can,if I (ever) get better.....

Thank you for all your hard work and for the offer of the Facebook page to use

Take care,
Abby

#88 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

IF the  Invision folks are successful in moving our forum, the new URL will be http://powersurge.invisionzone.com/

It will look exactly like our current forum and everything will be the same.

The cost will be only $30 a month.

On this current site, we are paying $99 a month plus $35 every 6 months to use the board software.

I'll keep you posted here.

#89 Jenn54

Jenn54

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 922 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, cooking, dogs, old movies, politics, traveling the U.S., a good cup of joe, our cabin and the Minnesota Vikings

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

That sounds great - I'll pay the first two months!  Thanks Mary O for your perseverance!

#90 spazz/tanya

spazz/tanya

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

IF the  Invision folks are successful in moving our forum, the new URL will be http://powersurge.invisionzone.com/

It will look exactly like our current forum and everything will be the same.

The cost will be only $30 a month.

On this current site, we are paying $99 a month plus $35 every 6 months to use the board software.

I'll keep you posted here.

Thank You for keeping us updated Mary  :wub: Tanya