• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

My best friend in the world, my "sister", Alice/Dearest died about 6 weeks ago. We were friends for nearly as long as PS existed and we talked on the phone about every other day for 2-3 hours.

Her daughters gave me Power Surge. I can't deal with the malware warnings (and the monthly cost!) and that's why I'm moving as much as I can onto that new blog. I'd hate to see all her years of work go to waste.

When I first logged on to the website back-end, on Wednesday, the site was already unpaid for 2 weeks. Two more and it would have been completely gone.

If that malware message cannot be removed soon, I may be forced to take the site and the boards down - that's why I'm hustling people to Facebook (and to boards that I set up on my message boards http://cushings.invi...-surge-members/ )

Even if the malware message CAN be removed, I still may need to take the site down - it costs $109 - per month, which is way too much.

I'm looking into saving the message boards separately, if possible, but I haven't gotten an answer to that. Those would "only" be $45 a month.

If you have favorite posts from the boards or articles from the site, please let me know so I can rescue them. I have downloaded most of the non-board areas of the website to my computer so I can add those articles at my leisure.

Please don't discuss this outside this board. Dearest was a very private person and she wouldn't want people talking about her.

Thanks!

#2 AngieC

AngieC

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

Mary, I posted on the FB page.
AngieC

#3 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

I know, Angie

#4 wildflowers

wildflowers

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

MaryO, Please check your pm box.Donna

#5 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I did, Donna. Thanks

#6 JES80

JES80

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Mary,
Have you considered trying to keep the board running by contributions to pay for the upkeep. I used to belong to a board yrs ago that was for having ablations and the only way the board stay up was for the users to make the contribution during a certain time span. There was always enough donations to keep the board alive. Just a suggestion.
I this is a major undertaking...but this site has saved so many ladies.

hugs to you for the loss of your very dear friend.
it has ended...i think!

Posted Image...Niki Posted Image ...Bandit
Hubby lives in a house full of declining estrogen...LOOK OUT!!!

#7 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks, Jes.

Ideally, IF I can get rid of the malware, I would like to try to get donations and keep everything going as it is. Supposedly, Alice's tech support person is going to do that but I haven't heard from him since Wednesday.

#8 JES80

JES80

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

oh wow, i just re-read the cost.

it has ended...i think!

Posted Image...Niki Posted Image ...Bandit
Hubby lives in a house full of declining estrogen...LOOK OUT!!!

#9 Isla

Isla

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Mary, I am very sorry for your loss, and sorry to read that news. Dearest did such a good thing here.
Isla

#10 larafalcon

larafalcon

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

My best friend in the world, my "sister", Alice/Dearest died about 6 weeks ago. We were friends for nearly as long as PS existed and we talked on the phone about every other day for 2-3 hours.

Her daughters gave me Power Surge. I can't deal with the malware warnings (and the monthly cost!) and that's why I'm moving as much as I can onto that new blog. I'd hate to see all her years of work go to waste.

When I first logged on to the website back-end, on Wednesday, the site was already unpaid for 2 weeks. Two more and it would have been completely gone.

If that malware message cannot be removed soon, I may be forced to take the site and the boards down - that's why I'm hustling people to Facebook (and to boards that I set up on my message boards http://cushings.invi...-surge-members/ )

Even if the malware message CAN be removed, I still may need to take the site down - it costs $109 - per month, which is way too much.

I'm looking into saving the message boards separately, if possible, but I haven't gotten an answer to that. Those would "only" be $45 a month.

If you have favorite posts from the boards or articles from the site, please let me know so I can rescue them. I have downloaded most of the non-board areas of the website to my computer so I can add those articles at my leisure.

Please don't discuss this outside this board. Dearest was a very private person and she wouldn't want people talking about her.

Thanks!

---------------------

Hi Mary -

I'm so sorry about Alice - RIP -

I'm also so sorry that this board to going off soon - What shall we do??? boo hoo

I tried joining the message board on your site (Cushings) - but it should an error and said I was not allowed - Please help -

BTW - how long will we still have Power surge??? like is it going to be going off shortly? In a few weeks?

#11 larafalcon

larafalcon

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thanks!

----------------
Hi Mary -

Regarding saving our favorite message threads - I think the ones on HRT, BHRT, and Insomnia should be saved -

Also - why don't we contribute to keep the board going? I would be happy to do that - and I am sure others would too -

#12 sjp

sjp

Surgette

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

---------------------

Hi Mary -

I'm so sorry about Alice - RIP -

I'm also so sorry that this board to going off soon - What shall we do??? boo hoo

I tried joining the message board on your site (Cushings) - but it should an error and said I was not allowed - Please help -

BTW - how long will we still have Power surge??? like is it going to be going off shortly? In a few weeks?

I tried joining it also and got an error. Said I wasn't allowed.
"I live in my own little world, but that's ok, everyone knows me there!"

#13 ahalverson

ahalverson

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Organic gardening, hiking and working out, prowling around interesting old junk stores for treasures, trips to the ocean...

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

The Facebook page? How do we find it, and how do we protect our privacy? I like flying under the radar with my intimately personal questions. Am grateful for this site, and sorry to hear about Alice. In time, would really love to know what happened. Somehow she has become like a dear friend to many of us--not in the sense that you were, Mary. But never the less, I'm really sad about losing her. Bless your heart.--A

#14 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hmm, it should be the same as joining here but I'll look into that. I know that other people join every day. Maybe I should just link to the main boards first.

Then, the Power Surge members area is at the bottom of the top Welcome section.

It's not a sure thing that these boards are going away. It depends on the malware cleanup.

If the cleanup is successful, I will most likely be asking for donations. I can't afford the whole thing myself.

#15 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

The Facebook page? How do we find it, and how do we protect our privacy? I like flying under the radar with my intimately personal questions. Am grateful for this site, and sorry to hear about Alice. In time, would really love to know what happened. Somehow she has become like a dear friend to many of us--not in the sense that you were, Mary. But never the less, I'm really sad about losing her. Bless your heart.--A

You cannot find the Facebook page. It's a secret group.

To join, you need to be either a friend of mine on FB or share your email address with me so that I can send you an invite.

If you join the Cushing's board, described above, that's more private than this board is.

#16 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I have narrowed the malware down to 21 posts in the Board Discussion area.

So, I have hidden that area for now. Hopefully Google can't find it!

In the meantime, several forums are unavailable but hopefully the malware message will be gone by tomorrow.

#17 wildflowers

wildflowers

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

MaryO, Thank you for all that you have been doing during this time that I know has been difficult for you, and so many others on this board.

#18 larafalcon

larafalcon

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hmm, it should be the same as joining here but I'll look into that. I know that other people join every day. Maybe I should just link to the main boards first.

Then, the Power Surge members area is at the bottom of the top Welcome section.

It's not a sure thing that these boards are going away. It depends on the malware cleanup.

If the cleanup is successful, I will most likely be asking for donations. I can't afford the whole thing myself.

-------------
We will be happy to donate to this website - please keep the site up for as long as you can -

#19 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

You're so welcome, Wildflowers. I loved Alice and I want to keep her legacy alive as best I can.

#20 larafalcon

larafalcon

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

I have narrowed the malware down to 21 posts in the Board Discussion area.

So, I have hidden that area for now. Hopefully Google can't find it!

In the meantime, several forums are unavailable but hopefully the malware message will be gone by tomorrow.

------------------
A LOT of forums are unavailable - including my favorite ones - I hope they will be available tomorrow -

#21 Bookworm56

Bookworm56

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Mary O, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Please take comfort in knowing how many women's lives she saved and that she wears a very special halo in Heaven.

For the sake of other women who are now approaching this confusing and scary time of life, I hope and pray this board can be salvaged.

PS saved my life and through PS I have made so many wonderful friends who I now call "sister"...
PERIMENOPAUSE: WHEN YOUR PERIOD BECOMES A QUESTIONMARK

"If it were not for the blessed fact that everything has its comic as well as tragic side, I should have lost my wits long ago." Louise May Alcott

Luke 8:43-48

#22 Fedup999

Fedup999

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

My deepest condolences to you Mary. I knew something was wrong the longer this board remained "broken". I couldn't imagine Dearest just letting these boards get to this point. Unfortunately it all makes sense now. These boards were a lifesaver for me. I learned SO much from all the wonderful and knowledgeable ladies here. I hope PowerSurge remains but understand due to the cost if it can't.

#23 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

------------------
A LOT of forums are unavailable - including my favorite ones - I hope they will be available tomorrow -

I doubt that will be tomorrow. I have to ferret 21 items out of all those thousands of posts. I may set up identical forums, then when all the malware is gone, move the new posts back into the original forums.

#24 Jenny51

Jenny51

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am so very sorry to hear this news, I feel stunned. Bless Dearest. Bless you Mary.

Have you considered moving this board to another board? We had to do that a few years back, and the new board is a Simple Machines Forum. I don't believe it's free, but it's certainly not as expensive as this one.

With so many not fully understanding how facebook works, what's private and what's not, plus so many privacy warnings regarding facebook, I think going there we will lose a lot of people.

It's a sad day :-(

#25 acehappiness

acehappiness

Surgette

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I too was very saddened to hear about Dearest. I agree with so many of the other post that this site really did save me and for that I feel blessed, that I found this site when I did. I don't use Facebook and know it would be great if we could still all meet here but understand if that can't happen and I can only imagine what a big job it is to keep it running. Mary thank you for trying. And Dearest please know that you will be missed.

#26 ahalverson

ahalverson

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:Organic gardening, hiking and working out, prowling around interesting old junk stores for treasures, trips to the ocean...

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

To all of my meno partners--

Today the realization hit me that the secure, constant, reassuring place I've turned to help me sort thru my peri-meno journey is going away. It feels like someone pulled the floor from beneath my feet, yet I'm so grateful for the fact that Alice/Dearest had the foresight to create this site all those years ago, and for the wonderful support I've received and shared while here. I believe in my heart that this place quite literally kept me sane when no one else could figure out what was wrong with me. I'm not kidding. I'm weepy today, and it isn't my hormones this time; It's grief over the loss of all of you. It's almost like being thrown into graduation, ready or not! Each of you have grounded me, taught me, helped me grow, given me courage-- and when I didn't think there was anyone who possibly could understand, I was shown that I WAS NOT ALONE. May god bless each of you on the rest of your journey.

Always, --Annie

#27 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Annie, the boards are not going away. I am working very hard to remove Google's malware message. It may take a while but it WILL get done.

You're not going to lose anyone here.

#28 Changingonthehill

Changingonthehill

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think once this gets settled and you decide you want to take this on, maybe have a yearly fund raiser. I know this forums has gotten me through some very tough times and I have a LONG way to go. Its worth it to save this.

#29 MsReadytoExhale

MsReadytoExhale

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:I am 46 (2011). I recently decided to stay home full-time and take care of our home and keep an eye on my teen son. We've lived in North Carolina for 4 years and love it. My main goal is to help my son find his passion and make sure he does all of his homework. Being at home full-time is a job that never ends but at least the people I work for love me. I enjoy learning so I am taking a college course on-line this Fall (2011). I do have a passion for helping others. I hope to get well soon so that I can volunteer my time to a worthy cause.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I too am sorry to learn that we lost Dearest, a true visionary. I too would like to see her work preserved and maintained. I also want to pledge to donate. All I ask is that the means for donating be secure.

This site has helped me through some tough and scary times. The women here are Angels.

Please keep us posted and let us know how we can help.

Thank you for all that you are currently doing to maintain the site.

Peace and love to you Mary and my PS sisters.

#30 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

I too am sorry to learn that we lost Dearest, a true visionary. I too would like to see her work preserved and maintained. I also want to pledge to donate. All I ask is that the means for donating be secure.

This site has helped me through some tough and scary times. The women here are Angels.

Thanks so much, Ms. Could I please post the quoted part of your post here: http://power-surge.c...gory/in-memory/

I'm trying to construct a nice memorial section for her. Thanks!