Worst Ever Virus Warning - CNN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 18 September 2001 - 08:20 PM

WORST EVER VIRUS (CNN announced) A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the mail, delete it. Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. If you receive an email called "An Internet Flower For You," do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. Your computer will not be able to boot up !!

Dearest

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#2 NancyV

NancyV

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 September 2001 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the warning...
NancyV

#3 skcintexas

skcintexas

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Reading, exercise, cooking, writing, dancing, friendships

Posted 20 September 2001 - 05:04 PM

I already know of one company which has been totally shut down computer wise by this virus...it's tremendously distructive!!

SusanC

skcincalifornia

#4 sodepressed

sodepressed

Surgette

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:13 PM

Dearest,Thank u very much for this warning,  :)

#5 nkk

nkk

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:48 AM

I've checked ?number of virus/hoax warning sites and this is an updated hoax. ?One site, Symantec, has the various versions, including a Dutch one; another also has a Spanish version.
Nita[br]Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it.