The Place To Start Your Day #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
676 replies to this topic

#1 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:43 PM

Please continue your posts in this temporary 2nd topic of "The Place To Start Your Day." Until I can resolve the problem of a ?few missing topics (and I know you hate to see this one missing), please help me along and do the best you can in continuing your conversation here.

I apologize for any lost messages. I hope they'll be able to be restored.

This topic is being continued on The Board About Nothing

Thanks for your understanding.

Dearest

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#2 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Dearest for keeping this popular thread going!Good morning everyone!   Yesterday evening the annual "how big is the tree going to be this year?" saga went on.  Our frontroom has a cathedral ceiling.  My husband insists every year 'we are not having a big tree this year; I'm not going to haul around a huge tree and have it break the stand".   My younger daughter always says 'Oh Dad, a small tree would look funny with such a high ceiling'.   Since last year's tree was so fat and heavy it broke the stand, my husband bought a new stand.  Oops, he forgot to take the sticker off and it was can hold up to a 10'  tree with 8" diameter trunk.   I did not get into the chosing of the tree except to pay.  When the tree was up, they decided to measure it since it was touching the ceiling fan as they brought it in.  It is 10'  1 1/2" tall.  A record tall tree for even us.   LOL   It does smell wonderful and our 16 1/2 yr old cat has already claimed her spot under the tree;  my theory is she is reliving her youth when she was able to be outside.   I'm off to start popping popcorn and begin the long strings it will need.    Hope everyone is well.                 ~Helen
If it weren't for change,[br] we wouldn't have butterflies.

#3 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 05:05 PM

Hi allthought i'd say hi  it's nine in the evening here(UK) just of out to a greek  restaurant (fella greek) hope i do not drink to much just cannot take it like i used to suffer terrible the next day. hope you are all having a good night.  have had two glasses of wine i'm already half drunk i'm such a light weight.

Take care Pauline  

#4 missruth

missruth

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 08:10 PM

Hi Everyone, ?Just checking what was on here. Helen, I bet your tree will be beautiful. We are not having one as our apartment is so small and there is just my husband and me. ?Sometimes I get to help decorate someone else's tree so that makes up for not having my own and I don't have to worry about taking it down. ohmy.gif ?My husband has had a bad cough for about 6 weeks. Went back to doc today and had to have a chest x-ray. Gave him medication and told him to stay home from work rest of week. He is glad of that.Ha. Don't know that I am glad but maybe he will do some of the cooking. ohmy.gif ? ? Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and Santa is good to all. God Bless.
RUTH D.

#5 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:09 PM

Hello everyone!    How is everyone doing?  I have been busy the last couple of days finish shopping.   It's time for everyone to check in on the new board.   Let us know how you are doing, please!    I was hoping to have lots of news to read when I stopped by this evening.  Take care all!     ~Helen

#6 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 08:48 AM

Hi allMrsunderstood I have been visting each day but there is never any news where is everyone? Hope all keeping well and ready for christmas.

Take care Pauline  

#7 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:47 PM

Hi all

just to let you know that I ?have brought the v8 it was in tesco. Have had some over the weekend not to bad. Have forgotten why I wanted to get it now. Cannot access the other welcome boards perhaps someone could please remind me. shows i'm getting Old or as my kids would say I am old.

Take carePauline ?

#8 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:43 PM

Hi Pauline,       JRS has a drink made with the V8 that she has been drinking and says it has helped her a lot with her symptoms.  Where are you JRS to tell us the other ingredients?    Glad you found the V8.                ~Helen

#9 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 02:06 PM

Fear not Helen and Pauline, I am here!! ;)Everyone is busy preparing for Christmas I bet. I have my trees and decorations up, have done all my present shopping apart from a couple of last minute stocking fillers for my daughters. My Mother-in-law has made the Christmas pudding, my Mum has made the Christmas cake, so all I have to do is ice it and make mince pies. My husband does all the cooking over the Christmas period, so I am very lucky really!All 3 daughters will be with us Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26th) so I am looking forward to that.I hope everyone elses Christmas plans are going well, and that all are keeping clear of colds and flu smile.gif

#10 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 05:54 PM

Gemini      hello, sounds like your almost ready! Me too. Its a great holiday. The pudding and Christmas cake sound lovely, I was wondering if you could give me the recipe for your icing. The English icing is always so good. Hope I am not imposing, if so not to worry. Thanking you in advance and Peace Cabo

#11 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 08:59 AM

HI allHad to laugh at my last message which said tate care should of said take care. Money very short in our house at the moment as lost my job 3 months ago. and have to be honest and say i have enjoyed the time off. But now I am suffering because have no money and wrong time of year to get a job. Hopefully have more luck in the new year.

Take carePauline

#12 Suseyq

Suseyq

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 12:53 PM

Hello everyone.  Yes, this is a busy time of year.  I am completely ready for Christmas, so ready, nothing really left to do!  Didn't overdo the shopping this year, and cut down on the amount of decorations.  You know, I like it!  I even cut out some of the ornaments on the tree, and I like the less is more look!  

paulinep, I think JR adds tabasco sauce to the V8.  I believe hot peppers stimulate the metabolism.  I try to avoid too spicy these days, seem to be getting a bit of acid reflux!  Hope not, my Mom has that.  I try to drink lots of water, read that's best drink.

Wonder what's up with Tex.  Haven't seen anything from Jennimarie, either.  Yes, report in everyone!

#13 Lolly

Lolly

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 08:12 PM

Aloha everyone!

Glad to hear everyong so cheery with spirit this season.

NO room for a big tree for me, but I did come the other night and my hubby had put white lights up on our lanai and our front porch.  Wow!  I was shocked!  Looks so awesome though.

He was inside chuckkling, making some remarks about being the Griswalds.  OMG, hope there arent more coming!  (national lampoon christmas movie remark lol)

JR!!  Where are ya girlfriend?  Everyone is talking about your V8 concotion!

Im at work right now.  Gotta share this with ya.   A lovely older woman came in to my center the day before yesterday to have me type up her wedding vows.  She told me her story about how she was married for 40 years and they had a couple who was their best freinds.  

To make a long story short, her hubby died and their friends wife died.   They got together and are starting a new life!  I just about cried while typing her vows and hearing the story.

She came back in today and brought her new hubby with her!  She asked me to print her a copy of the vows, (which i saved, thank god).  She was so happy with our short meeting the other day, she brought me a bottle of champagne as a thank you.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!  Made my week!

Anyways!  Take care!warm holiday alohaz,Lolly

Let the Waters Settle[br]You will see the Stars & Moon[br]Mirrored in Your Being ? ....Rumi

#14 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:52 AM

Lolly, Aloha, how great that story is. Happy Holidays to you Peace Cabo

#15 Suzie

Suzie

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 08:03 AM

Hi Everybody!I'm here too! So nice to hear about all your plans for CHristmas!My step daughter just got home  from college for the holidays last night. Her sister will be coming tonite. One of my daughters will be coming X-mas day with her boyfriend. THe other one won't be able to make it as she lives in California and we're on the east coast.We will also have my Mom and sisters with their kids and my hubby's Mom and sisters and family. A full house! Everyone likes to gather at our house X-mas day ! We got a smaller tree this year too and it looks fine. I didn't get all my decorations out this year either although we do have the outside decorated as usual.It's a busy time of year but the excitement helps to take away focus on some of the meno symptoms!Merry Christmas to all of you and Happy New Year!!!Love,Suzie
Suzie

#16 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 05:39 PM

Hi Ladies,        Glad to see more of you  online.  Does anyone know why the outside of this board says JRS, but her post doesn't come up?   Lolly, I knew a couple several years ago the same thing happened to.  The wives were best friends; after  the spouses died the remaining spouses spent so much time together they ended up marrying.  Their children had grown up close and they were just one big happy family.  :)  The big tree is still beautiful and fresh.  Since most of the christmas trees in the country are grown around us, we get a tree cut fresh that day.    I think my favorite part of this time of year is hearing from people we only hear from once a year.   Have a good evening.                       ~Helen  

#17 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:38 PM

Hi everyone :)Cabo, imposing by asking for an icing recipe, lol :biggrin: For Christmas cakes (rich fruit cake) you usually cover it with marzipan then Royal Icing, which is : 3 large egg whites, 1 and a half pounds sieved icing sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 and a half teaspoons liquid glycerine (optional) You whisk the egg whites, then add the sugar a little at a time until the icing is smooth and stiff enough to form peaks, then add glycerine and lemon juice. You can cheat and but ready made rolling icing, but it is not as nice as this kind, cos I have tried it!!I am busy right now, along with the rest of us no doubt, but will dip in and out of here whenever I can.Have a nice weekend everyone

#18 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 11:37 AM

Hi allJRS has posted on the old board and is wondering where we all are? Good news have got a interview for a job where I used to work which was at a college. Left 5 years ago when I was suffering terrible panic atacks. Could not even get on the bus to come home and useually ended up walking home in a right state. Still have trouble going far from home but I am working on it and have made a promise to myself to try alot harder in the new year. ?Well thats my news. Hope you are all well Take carePauline

(Edited by paulinep at 3:40 pm on Dec. 21, 2002)

#19 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Pauline,         I can't get on the old board.  How are you and JRS getting on it?    Computers are beyond me.    Good luck on the job interview.   You will do fine.  Have you checked out the panic attack/ anxiety board?  Lots of good info there and from the anxiety expert, Bronwyn Fox, plus lots of other guests Dearest has had over the years on this site.  

Beth,         You have found a new way of stumping us.  What is liquid glycerine?   Have to admit I'm not much of a cook, but your cake sounds delicious.   I'll try this one on you, do you know what church window cookies are?    My youngest has her request in for those so I'll get the supplies at the store and make them later today.  :)                              ~Helen

#20 paulinep

paulinep

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 12:32 PM

Hi Mrsunderstood

When I post a reply i tick the do you want email notication of replies? JRS had mayed a reply so when i open my email box i click on  the power surge link and it took me to the old boards. Hope you got that.Have over the years tried everthing possible for panic attacks/anxiety have been having councelling for last year and its just begining to sink in thats its all in my head and i have to try to change the way i think.  But i have lived this way for 12 years after i had an illness and  i started to worry i would get ill away from the house. So stayed home as much as i could have lost alot of friends over the years because i never told anyone they thought i just did not want to go anywhere.   Take care Pauline

#21 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 12:57 PM

Helen, Damned if I know what liquid glycerine actually is! You just go and buy it at the store, and apparantly its purpose is to stop the icing being too brittle. Don't think I have ever used it though!Church window cookies? Never heard of them, but I can have a guess! Cookies in an arched shape, with cut-outs filled with something coloured, to look like stained glass??All this business of some people geting onto other boards is confusing! Poor JRS lost in limbo, wondering where the rest of us are!!! wink.gif

#22 Lolly

Lolly

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 07:22 PM

Aloha Everyone!

Oh! Oh! i know what church window cookies are! ?I grew up in the country,north of Pittsburgh, and all the moms, aunties and grammas made tons of cookies every year! ?Big event!

Church window cookies are made with different colored mini marshmallows and chocolate. ?Hence, the stained glass effect.

My Mom made the best damn cookies, I swear! ?And tons and tons of them. ?Wow, do I miss that! ?I try to keep up the tradition and bake cookies, but this year our oven broke (several months ago). ?We are planning on a remodel, so we havent replaced it yet.

Living on Maui, we have a grill, so that suffices for now! ?LOL ?

Today, to finish my holiday shopping, I put on my sarong and halter top, got my slippas (flip flops) and headed down into town. ?Its just a few minutes walk to lots of nice local shops restaurants, etc. ?I found the most special presents for my most special folks. ?

Was like Magic, I tell you! ?Wow! ?Then headed back home full of holiday spirit and pleased that I made the effort to walk instead of drive.

Today is my granddaughters second birthday too! ?Im waiting for her to wake up from her nap. ?My daughter will put her on webcam, so we can play togther for a little while!

The new board thing, had me confused too. ?But i guess Im in the right spot now! ?HOpe so!

Anyway, all I need now is a small thing of wrapping paper and I'm done! ?whoohooo!

Happy shopping to those of you like me, who have waited to the last minute. ?And to the rest of you organized women, ?Good For You!

aloha! ?I'll be sure to check often between now and xmas, It's so wonderful to hear from everone.

warm warm alohasLolly

Let the Waters Settle[br]You will see the Stars & Moon[br]Mirrored in Your Being ? ....Rumi

#23 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:09 PM

The reason some of you are getting into the original topic is because you're coming in through a back door (some thru your E.mail notification links). The topic *should* be listed on the board because all the messages are still on the server. However, until I get the problem fixed, unfortunately, it won't be sad.gif  I'm thinking of replacing the entire board because this one has given me too many problems. I ask your patience  until after the holidays.

Mucho thanks.Dearest

- Helen Keller

#24 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:20 PM

Here is the recipe for church window cookies I use.  You can probably make them Lolly if you have a way to melt the chocolate and oleo cause there is no baking.        You melt  12 oz of choc chips(semi sweet) with 1 stick of oleo.  Set it aside to cool.  Add 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts usually) and 1 pkg miniature colored marshmallows (the ones that are lemon, lime, strawberry, and orange flavored) to the chocolate mixture when it is cool enough that the marshmallows don't melt.   Divide mixture in half and roll each like a log in coconut on waxed paper.  Wrap in the waxed paper, chill 24 hrs, then slice into cookies.   Some people leave out the nuts or coconut if they don't like them.   I store them in the refrig and cut off the ones we want to serve on a plate.            Yummy and really not hard except the waiting for them to chill(overnight is usually long enough).                                                                ~Helen

#25 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:45 PM

Sounds delicious. Does anyone know the significance of the name church window cookies?

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#26 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 10:10 PM

Quote: from Dearest on 7:45 pm on Dec. 21, 2002[br]Sounds delicious. Does anyone know the significance of the name church window cookies?

Dearest

I think that it's because they look like stained glass windows with the melted candy.

Stained Glass Cookies 1 cup margarine 1 cup shortening 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup honey 2 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla 5 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt hard candies (such as lollipops or life savers) Mix margarine, shortening, sugar, honey, eggs and vanilla. ?Add flour, soda and salt. Add flour and chill the dough overnight. ?On waxed paper roll out the dough and cut shapes with cookie cutters. Then cut out areas for "windows" or Roll dough into "snakes". Shape the snakes into cookies--leaving some open spaces. Place the cookies on a well-greased cookie sheet. Fill the openings with crushed hard candies or a whole life saver. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet.

#27 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 11:53 PM

Very interesting Mary,      Your recipe for stained glass windows is so different, but they look yummy.   In the picture, it showed the cookie tree ornament.  I remember my grandmother telling me how they used to decorate their christmas tree with cookies.   Likely your recipe is older since the colored marshmallows came much later than hard candies.  I remember my mother making hard candy  from an old family recipe when I was young.   Also, my cut out sugar cookie recipe that has been in my family for generations was originally made with rendered lard to make them soft and churned butter for flavor, but  over the years it has become crisco and oleo(aren't we health conscious?) .   Dearest, I was always told the colored marshmallows resembled the stained glass windows and the coconut represented the snow on the winter windows.                     ~Helen

#28 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 11:10 AM

Helen, that wasn't my recipe, but one that I grabbed off the Internet.   I've never made them at all, but I think that the ones that I've eaten (none for a while) have been the hard candy variety.

Whatever they're made of, they're very pretty and yummy smile.gif

#29 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 11:19 AM

Quote: from Dearest on 7:09 pm on Dec. 21, 2002[br]The reason some of you are getting into the original topic is because you're coming in through a back door (some thru your E.mail notification links). The topic *should* be listed on the board because all the messages are still on the server. However, until I get the problem fixed, unfortunately, it won't be sad.gif ?I'm thinking of replacing the entire board because this one has given me too many problems. I ask your patience ?until after the holidays.

Mucho thanks.Dearest

Boy, all this sounds like so much work for you, Dearest sad.gif  What a PITA for you.  

Thanks, Dearest, for being on top of this, and noticing the problem right away.  Seems like it was just yesterday that you moved to this newer board - now it's nearly time to move again. I can't imagine even beginning to replace or move all this!

What a lot of work this must be.  Thanks for doing it for us all!

#30 Suseyq

Suseyq

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 11:22 AM

Good Morning everyone.  Had trouble getting on to site this AM, but it's connected now!  Hate that when it happens!  

Busy weekend.  Had Christmas party yesterday, and a birthday party today.  My niece and nephew turn 6.  My grandson will be there, so I'm looking forward to that.  It should be a "wild" time, as the kids are getting very excited about Christmas, not to mention a birthday party.

Those Christmas cookies sound yummy, but I'm not into complicated recipes these days!  The easier, the better.

Hope everyone gets to check in, always wonder how everyone is doing.