14 replies to this topic

#1 Board Administrator

Board Administrator

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 07:08 AM

PURGING YOUR CACHE

Before reading, you may want to save a copy of this for future reference.

Today everyone surfs the Web. When you use the Internet on a regular basis, it is essential that you ?"purge your cache." The cache is composed of ?files that build up on your computer every time you open a Web page. Opening the page downloads into your computer everything that's ON that page including text, javascript, sound files, images, etc. Needless to say, when you're surfing from page to page, many thousands of files can build up a "cache" on your computer. Unless you purge (clean) them out of your machine, it will slow you down your Internet experience. If you've never purged your cache before, but have surfed the Internet, you will be amazed at how many files have been stored on your machine. These are the files that are "dumped" into your Temporary Internet Files.

AOL MEMBERS & IE USERS(INTERNET EXPLORER):

In AOL 5.0, go to the "My AOL" icon on the top of the AOL screen. Click on PREFERENCES ?Click on the" WWW" icon

In AOL 6.0 & ?7.0, go to the AOL menu at the top of the screen and click on:

1) Settings 2) Preferences3) Internet Properties (WWW).

In AOL 9.0, click on Settings and Internet Properties.

The rest is the same for AOL and Non-AOL members using Microsoft Internet Explorer. If you're using Internet Explorer from your Windows taskbar: - Click on TOOLS and INTERNET OPTIONS.

It will default to the GENERAL Tab window.

1) Click on TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS. Under the default GENERAL TAB, you'll see BROWING HISTORY. Click on DELETE and delete TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES, HISTORY and COOKIES. I don't keep passwords online, so I don't have to delete those and ignore the FORMS option

That's called PURGING YOUR CACHE. It will prevent many problems people incur when their cache is overloaded and will also allow you to surf the Internet faster when the cache is cleaned out.

This is a diagnostic you should do at least once every few days if you do a lot of Web surfing (I purge my cache a few times a day).

---------------------------------------

TO PURGE YOUR CACHE IN NETSCAPE BROWSER:

IN NETSCAPE: click on EDIT and PREFERENCES. Scroll to ADVANCED and double-click on it. Highlight CACHE

On the right side of the screen, you'll see two buttons.

1) Clear Memory Cache2) Clear Disk Cache

-- Click on each one and you'll get a message about clearing the cache. -- Click "OK" and that will purge your cache in Netscape.

TO PURGE YOUR CACHE IN FIREFOX (ver. 1.5.0.9)

In FIREFOX, you can purge your cache by clicking on TOOLS on the menu and then CLEAR PRIVATE DATA. Basically to purge your cache, all you'd need to select is Browsing History. Personally, I clean out browsing history and cookies (that's generally where you'll find web tracking spyware. So I prefer not to store cookies on my computer). I'd read the HELP section in Firefox before deleting the other items they have checked.

--------------------------------------------

If you want to read more about cookies, visit http://www.cookiecentral.com

Board Administrator
Board Problems?
Email: PowerSurgeTech@aol.com
http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums

#2 MsMolly

MsMolly

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 10:34 AM

Hello~ Hope it's ok to add something here.

It's also a good idea to defragment at least once a week.  This can take quite some time if it has never been done or not done often enough.  The best way I can explain what this does is to imagine you have a folder of papers and all the papers are scattered all over the floor.  When you defragment it puts them all back in order making things run faster and smoother.  To defragment do this........click on "start"...go to "programs"..."accessories"..."system tools"...and then "disc deframenter".....when a box comes up to start just click ok.  If you have a virus program enabled, you may need to dis-able it before the defragmenter will work properly.  Just rememebr to enable the virus program when you are done defragmenting.

Also, if you have a virus program...don't forget to update it often or you won't be protected from many of the new viruses as they come along.

Hope this helps to!!Molly  

Good Golly![br]

#3 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 26 June 2001 - 09:42 AM

Well, once again, Good Golly, Miss Molly! smile.gif

Aren't you an encyclopedia of technical information and thank you for sharing that and so clearly, too. These are basic diagnostics everyone really should learn when they begin using a computer, but, unfortunately, many people buy a new computer, log onto America Online or through another Internet provider and don't ever learn that their computer really needs to be maintained properly. Scan disk, defrag (although defragging once a week is really too often), disk cleanup, purging your cache. The last one is SO important, too, because everyone is spending so much time on the Internet and they aren't aware that every single page they open "dumps" tons of files onto their hard drives. I've come across people who've never purged their cache (never even heard of it) and had megabytes of cache / files that had built up in their cache, thereby slowing their computers down terribly AND having an impact on future Web visits.

So, thank you for sharing your wonderful information. I hope everyone takes all this seriously because it will extend the life of their computer and make their online experience, especially, a lot more pleasurable (for them AND their computers).

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#4 MsMolly

MsMolly

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 05:36 PM

Well......thank ya kindly, Dearest!:biggrin:

To be honest, I was one of those that bought a computer and didn't have the foggiest idea of what to do.sad.gif ?The first time I defragmented...it took quite awhile. ?Yes, I also do the other things you mentioned. ?I finally have a few things down pat...but it can be overwhelming at first. ?I thought I'd never figure it all out. ?In fact, there are sooo many things I want to learn. ?I just recently tackled HTML...shew...that took a few nights...but well worth it. ?I have sold some on the auction sites and it sure can make your page look so much prettier.smile.gif

Thanks for your kind words...my head is swelling, but not too much.wink.gif

Molly

Good Golly![br]

#5 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 28 June 2001 - 04:22 PM

You learned HTML in a few nights? Are you using a WYSWYG HTML editor?

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#6 MsMolly

MsMolly

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 08:01 PM

*grinning* OK...my head is deflating now. ?What's a WYSWYG HTML editor? ?Is that something that does the HTML for you? ?I've heard of something like that, but never used one...wouldn't have a clue....

I went to a site that had all the basics, etc. for HTML. ? ? ? ? ?I also found out I could click on 'file' and then 'view source' and find how a page I liked (on the auction site) had been done. ?I got some ideas this way. ?So, I didn't quite do it from "scratch"...I used lots of references to see how something was done. ? Now when I go to list an auction I can do a lot of copy/paste to change the item, pictures etc. and keep my auction template (I think that is what it is called) LOL

It was a big accomplishment for me to get what I did done for I knew nothing about computers when I started. ?I learned most things on those nights I couldn't sleep.

Molly

Good Golly![br]

#7 onesister

onesister

Senior Surgette

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:19 PM

Wow I feel great! I've just purged my cache and defragmented something and everything is working much faster. You ladies are so clever. Thanks. ?Hey any ideas about purging meno symptoms.?

#8 AnxietyAttack

AnxietyAttack

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:37 PM

WYSWYG= What you see is What you get.

AKA.....AA

#9 Dotcalm2u

Dotcalm2u

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (onesister @ Oct 13 2002, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I feel great! I've just purged my cache and defragmented something and everything is working much faster. You ladies are so clever. Thanks. ?Hey any ideas about purging meno symptoms.?

Here I am in one of my very 'few' serious moments....learning about all sorts of 'nifty' technical things about computers....then I came upon your comment.
ROFLMAO!!!!
Yes indeed....ARE there any ideas about purging meno symptoms?
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
~~ *Buying a Computer ... $999.00* ~~ *Having Internet ...$25.00* ~~ *Finding Power Surge... Priceless** ~~

*-:?:-?:*'''''*:?.-:?:-?**?-:?:-?:*'''''*:?-:?:-?*

#10 Duch

Duch

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:00 AM

Does anyone know how this works with firefox?
I don't know what to do,
I'm always in the dark
Living in a powder keg
And givin' off sparks
I really need you tonight.

#11 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Duch @ Dec 2 2006, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know how this works with firefox?

To set the size of the cache or to clear (purge) it:

1. Select Tools > OptionsEdit > PreferencesFirefox > Preferences.

2. Open the Privacy panel and click the Cache tab.

3. Enter a number in the Use up to field to specify the size of the cache. 50MB to 70MB is a good size.

To clear the cache immediately, click the Clear Cache Now button at the bottom of the Cache tab.

When you exit out of Firefox, it performs cache maintenance automatically.

If that takes too long, reduce the size of the disk cache.

#12 royalina

royalina

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

I was one of those that bought a computer and didn't have the foggiest idea of what to do.sad.gif The first time I defragmented...it took quite awhile.............. cool.gif

#13 marrylee

marrylee

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

These are basic diagnostics everyone really should learn when they begin using a computer, but, unfortunately, many people buy a new computer, log onto America Online or through another Internet provider and don't ever learn that their computer really needs to be maintained properly. ....

#14 Jacket

Jacket

Newbie Surgette

• Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

thanks for share your good news .....you are so kindness person...

#15 futurmil2b

futurmil2b

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (MaryO @ Dec 2 2006, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To set the size of the cache or to clear (purge) it:

1. Select Tools > OptionsEdit > PreferencesFirefox > Preferences.

2. Open the Privacy panel and click the Cache tab.

3. Enter a number in the Use up to field to specify the size of the cache. 50MB to 70MB is a good size.

To clear the cache immediately, click the Clear Cache Now button at the bottom of the Cache tab.

When you exit out of Firefox, it performs cache maintenance automatically.

If that takes too long, reduce the size of the disk cache.

I must be missing something.. when I select Tools on Firefox.. and click options I do not have Preferences option. I have my history set to Never Remember History... hopefully, it is not storing a bunk of internet junk... I dunno

Jay