• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#61 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that Gez, because you won't be able to read, post, or participate in the InstaChat anymore. These boards are not a "subscription". If you don't want to participate, just stop posting and logging in. If you subscribed to a particular message on here, you can stop that yourself in your control panel.

#62 wildflower

wildflower

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 11:30 AM

Since music has been added to the message boards and the site in general, it's much more difficult for me to navigate. Somehow, the music "hangs me up" and moving around is much, much slower. As a matter of fact, if I have other windows open on other sites at the same time, as long as one window is on Power Surge, my computer moves slow and jerkily on all the windows. It's as if the music is taking a lot of time for my computer to download, so everything else slows down. I have a cable connection and everything is usually very fast, so this is new to me. Is anyone else having this problem, and is there a way to change it? I find myself reading a lot less because it takes so long now.

#63 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 03:20 PM

I have a cable modem, too, but no problems with the addition of the music. That's only on the first page, so after you get into one of the topics, the original speed should return. Since it's holiday music, I would imagine that it's not going to be here much longer.

#64 Guest_Gez_*

Guest_Gez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2004 - 10:21 AM

Mary, thanks for responding. I'm having a rough time and sometimes feel it would be better to just not come to the board and read or participate. Depression has a way of making you withdraw from everyone and everything. I'm still trying to adjust. Sorry.

#65 Melb

Melb

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:nothing right now

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:01 AM

Is there a way i can save a topic if i am unable to reply at that time--so i can come back and reply later?---without writing it down on a piece of paper or something---if i press the add to favorites button it will put that topic on my favorites about 50 times, and if there are a few that i have put in my favorites then i have pages and pages of the same thing---then if i try to delete one--they all are deleted---please help

#66 Kleeo

Kleeo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING I can hold an interest in these days! :)

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:15 PM

I am having a HORRID time trying to stay in the chat tonite! It keeps making a clicking noise, and then it freezes....ARGH!!!!!! I'm going to go try again....has anyone else had troubles getting in?????? sad.gif Kleeo
'Kleeo'

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.
Charles M. Schulz

#67 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:27 PM

Sorry you had troubles, Kleeo - did you do like Dearest suggested and purge your cache? That really helps the chatroom and all kinds of online things.

#68 Kleeo

Kleeo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING I can hold an interest in these days! :)

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:59 AM

Hi Maryo, YES! I tried that, and everything else possible! sad.gif For some reason, my java wasn't working properly - the chat page was acting funny, and every time I tried to type something, I got booted out! But at least I had the chance to pop in - I'll have to see what I can do to rectify it for the next time! Hope you had a NICE chat! And such a GOOD reason for a chat tonite! GO POWER SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huggers, Kleeo wink.gif
'Kleeo'

I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time.
Charles M. Schulz

#69 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:16 AM

I'm sorry you missed it, Kleeo - it was a really nice chat, celebrating a wonderful website and the woman behind it all smile.gif

#70 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 01:00 PM

Can someone help direct me to find an answer to why while on the guest chats everytime someone adds a remark my screen bounces back to the opening. I then pull the bar down to the end and see what was said and then poof back to the top. I unfortunately am not computer savvy and this is so frustrating. Thanking you in advance and Peace Cabo

#71 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:43 PM

Cabo, did you download the JavaClient before you logged in?

Besides that, you should be sure to choose the java chat (not the html version)

Purging your cache often helps, too, as well as rebooting the computer before the chat to be sure you have enough memory.

If you don't know how to purge your cache, Dearest has info about that in this same area in a post called: Purging Your Cache

Best of luck to you - the chats are great and I hate for people to miss them sad.gif

#72 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:54 PM

Thanks MaryO, you always save the day! I will try this tonight. Peace to you Cabo

#73 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:32 PM

I remember that I used to be able to type in a word or words and click on search and all of the posts that applied to my inquiry were displayed. I could then read through all of them and gain some insight. I must be doing something wrong now. I am trying to gain some insight on other women who have had some issues with their teeth. I know that I have read some posts regarding that issue before. But when I type in "problems with teeth" and click on search the entire website, all I get are transcripts. I really want to read posts. When I click on Search the Message Boards, I just get re routed back to the boards, but not to specific posts regarding teeth. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks
WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

#74 Meryl

Meryl

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hi. Go to the main menu of the boards and above that is search. Put in teeth and hit enter, and you will get the posts that contain the word teeth. Good luck! If this doesn't work, I'm sure MaryO will see my post and set us both straight! Hugs, Meryl
Your menobud

#75 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 05:13 PM

Click here to search just the message boards

For others, to search the rest of the site, go to the Power Surge Search

#76 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Meryl and MaryO. I knew there was a way to do it, but I just didn't know how.

#77 Wwoman

Wwoman

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:15 AM

I posted a reply on the newcomers introduction page on 5/4/04. It shows that I posted it under "last post" - however I can not seem to actually see the post! In fact I think I posted twice trying to get it to show up???

#78 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Wwoman

I posted a reply on the newcomers introduction page on 5/4/04.  It shows that I posted it under "last post" - however I can not seem to actually see the post!  In fact I think I posted twice trying to get it to show up???

I saw your introduction there yesterday, Wwoman. Let me look into it again and get back to you.

Dearest

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#79 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:57 AM

Yup, it's there - there are quite a few pages. Click on this link and you'll find it on the last page of the introductions.

But, please remember, that forum is meant only for introductions. Feel free to post in any of the other forumss about your menopause/midlife issues. There are certainly enough forums to choose from biggrin.gif

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#80 Wwoman

Wwoman

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

I see my initial introduction that I posted 5/3/04. However, next is a question to me from Bobbi C. I replied to that 8:51 am 5/4/04, but I can't see that reply when I go to that topic. I now understand this was probably not the appropriate forum for "discussion" but I wanted to get back to Bobbi where she asked the question.

#81 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

I can see your answer. It starts: "Hi Bobbi, I had a thermal balloon ablation, but I hear Novasure is a great technique. I live in a very rural area and not a whole lot of options around here. In fact, it was difficult for me to find a doc. who did them..." Isn't that it?

#82 Wwoman

Wwoman

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

Any idea why I can't see it? Not on my home computer nor my computer at work? I already think I'm going crazy, this isn't helping.tongue.gif

#83 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:32 AM

Is it my computer or is there something wrong with the Insta-Chat? I have a big white box that says temporary error. Thanks.

#84 moozie

moozie

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

yup , me too dcamp Hugs, Moozie

#85 Guest_Admin_*

Guest_Admin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:04 PM

It isn't anyone's computer. The insta-chat is temporarily down. There are hardware server problems. It's being worked on and will be back when it's repaired.

#86 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:51 PM

If anyone sees this post I hope you can answer my question. I entered the main chat room this evening hoping to read and get some answers concerning anxiety. However, this was my experience. I was trying to read the dialogue, but everytime either Dr. Shipko or a guest typed a response or question, the screen would jump back up to the top and I would have to scroll down and try to find my place again. By the time I got back to where I was reading, someone else would send another response and the board would jump back up to the top again. It got so frustrating that I just left. What was I doing wrong? Thank you. Donna

#87 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

Donna, it wasn't anything you were doing wrong. It's a javascript issue. The first time you tried to log into the chatroom, you were probably asked if you wanted to download the java client. The answer to that question was "yes". That's the java that's needed to run the chatroom properly. I did that and everything worked fine for me. I later downloaded a general java client for my browser (Internet Explorer) and found that the chatroom no longer worked, so I unchecked that in my IE tool and the room worked well again. Sometimes, for people just leaving the room and re-entering works, or rebooting the computer. All browsers are different, though. If you're using AOL dialup, it's suggested to minimize your AOL window (it will still work as your internet connection) and open an external copy of Internet Explorer. The AOL browser just doesn't work well with some things. If you're using IE and you downloaded the chatroom's java client, check out your Tools (on the line with File, Edit, View, etc) and then Internet Options... In Advanced, look for the line highlighted below and make sure it's unchecked, too.

#88 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:17 PM

"I did that and everything worked fine for me. I later downloaded a general java client for my browser (Internet Explorer) and found that the chatroom no longer worked, so I unchecked that in my IE tool and the room worked well again."

This is the most important thing. Mary and I have discussed this because when I downloaded Sun Microsystems's Java Client, MY chat room didn't work any longer. I don't know about the configuration of their java client, but you con't need it on your computer. Every chat room you use requires its own java client. You can go to MSN chat and Yahoo chat and you'll have to download their java client. Those other java clients (with the exception of Sun Microsystem's java client) shouldn't have any negative affect on any of the others, nor render them unworkable.

So it is with Power Surge's chat room as well. You have to download the java client that makes MY chat room work.

Mary has given you an image of where you can find and disable the Sun java client on your system.

I still recommend purging your cache. The instructions are simple. They instructions can be found here.

This is a form of maintenance that should be done on a regular basis because everyone'e surfing the Web today and you're downloading tons of files from every page you visit.

Good advice, Mary.

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#89 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:25 PM

Thank you Dearest and MaryO. I hope this solves my problem.

#90 haneya

haneya

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:58 AM

Hi, I love this board, but I find that everytime I log and check out the messages, every date is May 13, 2004, the date I first signed up. That means I can't tell when someone posted or responded to a message, or how old the thread is or anything like that. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks.