Having Board Problems?

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#31 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the help, Deb.

The best way to familiarize yourselves with the site is to receive a copy of the Power Surge Welcome Letter. All new registered board members receive a copy of the welcome letter unless they opt "NOT" to be on the mailing list when they register. To get a copy, ?E.mail PowerSurgeWoman@aol.com. I'll send you a copy of the welcome letter loaded with links and information.

To familiarize yourself with the boards and site, click this link for the Newcomers Message. You'll find a great deal of information there.

Dearest

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#32 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:28 PM

I posted on the 'birthdays' board earlier this week and it did not put my whole message up.  I just went in and tried to edit it.  It said the post was successful the first time; then it said the edit was successful.  However, it is not showing up.   Thanks to everyone for the warm birthday wishes  :)  ).    ~Helen
If it weren't for change,[br] we wouldn't have butterflies.

#33 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:59 AM

And I thought you were so overwhelmed, you just couldn't write it all :biggrin:  In any event, it's been fixed by a magic fairy!

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#34 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:41 PM

This isn't really a problem of major proportions, rather just a query.  Why is it that sometimes when I log on to the site (I have bookmarked the message boards), I am immediately at the message boards and other times I get the page that asks me to fill in my user name, password and then log-in.  It only takes a few extra seconds, but I just wonder why the switch from one to the other.  Thanks and I love this board.
WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

#35 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:44 AM

That would happen if you've shut down your computer inbetween log-in times, or if you cleared out your cookies.

#36 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the quick reply MaryO.  I am forever clearing out my cookies so that must be why.  Have a great day.

#37 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 08:55 AM

The questions above pertain to the previous message board - not this new one installed Oct. 1, 2003. If you have any questions about the newest board, ask them here, but first try clicking on FAQ on the menu at the top of every page. It will answer a great many of your questions. You'll also find you can make changed to your account information by clicking on Control Panel / Options on the menu at the top. Dearest

- Helen Keller

#38 zjsurfer

zjsurfer

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Power Surge, Weight Watchers, Reading, Special Education, Dsylexia, teaching Reading/Math, Camping, Handcrafts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 10:47 AM

Where do we ask questions about the NEW, new board? wink.gif Zelma
zjsurfer
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." attributed to Dave Barry

#39 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

I think you can start here. I would imagine that Dearest was letting us know that, with her post, we were discussing these new boards smile.gif

#40 zjsurfer

zjsurfer

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Power Surge, Weight Watchers, Reading, Special Education, Dsylexia, teaching Reading/Math, Camping, Handcrafts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, Mary O. I think I'm gradually figuring them out now; but at least I know where to ask now! Zelma biggrin.gif
zjsurfer
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." attributed to Dave Barry

#41 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:57 AM

I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers.biggrin.gif Could someone explain how I scroll back to the previous message/ messages, while posting a new message. Thanks!!
CHRISCAROL

#42 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:43 PM

I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers.  Could someone explain how I scroll back to the previous message/ messages, while posting a new message. Thanks!!
Isn't this the same as always? If you're posting a response, you should be able to scroll down, as always, and all the responses are there, in reverse order. If you're talking about posting a new topic and looking at the previous messages, you'd have to have 2 different browser windows open. Maybe I misunderstood your question sad.gif

#43 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:33 PM

When I scroll down, I see the topic review, then it goes into tips, etc. It could very well be me, but I not pulling up previous messages, when scrolling downward.ohmy.gif I'm scrolling to the far right of the screen, as always, correct.wink.gif Thanks again, Mary
CHRISCAROL

#44 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:34 PM

shoot, I lost that message in the middle of editing. Oy vey, that time of the month.:mad:
CHRISCAROL

#45 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:36 PM

My message was legible, obviously.biggrin.gif
CHRISCAROL

#46 joyous

joyous

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:50 PM

I know there's probably a simple answer to this but I haven't discovered it yet. With the old boards, whenever I signed on, it was very easy to tell what boards had new posts on them since my last visit. It always had the little "snowflake" as I call it, to the left of the forum or topic if there were new posts. Now that we've gone from snowflakes to envelopes, I'm having a hard time. I know that new posts are supposed to be signified by a red envelope. But there will be forums that clearly have had new posts since my last visit but they're still white, not red. I also know that red envelopes can mean many posts within a forum/topic. Am I just making this way more complicated than it really is? Or is there something I need to do to re-set my options? I feel like a doofus. I am also due to get my period any day now, which would explain my general dunderheaded-ness sad.gif Help!
~Joy~
There are some things in our lives which can only be changed by God's hand and the course of time.

#47 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:35 PM

Joyous, you can also look near the very top of the board. Just under the Power Surge Message Boad logo, there's a line that reads: Member List | Search | FAQ | Today's Posts | Stats | Problems? | Select Avatar If you click on the one that says "Today's Posts" you'll get links to the ones from today.

#48 joyous

joyous

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:53 PM

MaryO, thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I was aware of the "Today's Posts" option, but, even though I try to check in each day, sometimes there's a day or two that I miss, so the Today's Posts option wouldn't include the days I missed. I think I may know what's different with these new boards. With the old boards, there was an option that said "mark all forums as read" or something like that. If I only had time to check 1 or 2 forums on a visit, those were the only ones that showed they had been read. All the other forums still had the "snowflake" by them. Now, even if I only read posts in 1 or 2 forums, when I come back later, it's like I read ALL the forums on that last visit. I'm probably not explaining this well at all, or maybe I just need to get more familiar with the new boards. Thanks again, MaryO, for all the work you do here at Power Surge!
~Joy~
There are some things in our lives which can only be changed by God's hand and the course of time.

#49 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:02 AM

I still haven't figured out why I can't view prior posts.
CHRISCAROL

#50 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:11 PM

I am experiencing problems with the times and dates of posts in the message boards. New posts are dated 9/10/03, 8/10/03, 4/10/03 and some other dates I can't remember right now. Also, I am seeing some posts as being posted in November/03 and some even more wierd, such as month 21 and 24. The times are all off whack too. I see messages being posted 2 and 3 hours ahead of the time it actually is. I posted this problem in the board about nothing and MaryO has been trying to help me out. She told me to go to Control Panel/Options and click on Edit Profile and then to scroll down to the time offsets and choose GMT -4. I did this but nothing has been corrected. I live in NE Ohio and we are on Daylight Savings Time right now. It makes it hard to read the boards, because I have no idea what posts are new since I last visited. This all just started happening about a week ago. Thanks for any help.

#51 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 05:27 PM

Have you rebooted your computer, or cleared out your cookies since you made the changes?

Doing either or both of those - or clearing out your Internet Temp files could help, too.

Dearest has posted info about this at Purging Your Cache. That helps a lot of computer problems.

My time, same time zone as yours, works just fine.

#52 MrsUnderstood

MrsUnderstood

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:34 PM

I am in Michigan so I checked what options I had since my boards seem to be coming through correctly. First of all I have the dot in the 12 hrs option. Then I have mm-dd-yyyyy as the date option. (if you have dd-mm-yyyy that would be the way our overseas friends would write their dates with the day of the week, then month, then year). Then I have (GMT-4)Atlantic Time. Since I am also in Eastern Time, I am figuring that might be something I have to adjust in a few weeks, but it will be so much easier than the clock in my car which I usually have to leave for someone else LOL. My husband had tried for years to teach me how to purge my cache, but Dearest's step by step instructions were the first I actually understood. I certainly appreciate the computer help. biggrin.gif ~Helen
If it weren't for change,[br] we wouldn't have butterflies.

#53 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

Is there any way you can block me from this website. Having obsessive tendencies, it's making my head spin. I want to sincerely thank you for the education.
CHRISCAROL

#54 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 08:47 PM

Are you serious, ChrisCarol?

#55 chriscarol

chriscarol

Super Surgette

• Banned
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:48 PM

No, I'll stick around!! I'm just so sensitive right now, I literally can't think straight. Sorry for being a pain.
CHRISCAROL

#56 dcamp

dcamp

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:42 AM

Just wanted to let you know that everything is fine with my times and dates now. I followed all of your advice and yesterday nothing seemed to work. When I got on this morning everything was back to normal. Kind of like perimenopause, some days are better than others. Thanks to everyone who offered help. Now I'm a happy camper again.

#57 WhiteHorses

WhiteHorses

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:00 AM

On the Depression forum Page 21 the first post to page 21 appeared to disappear and then appear when the second and third posts were made. The main board index showed the first post to Depression. "The Invisible First Post Problem"? LOL
...Beth

#58 Paul

Paul

Surgette

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 05:40 AM

Hi Surgettes, For those of you wondering how to tell if somebody has posted on a forum since your last visit to the boards, you can find out by looking at the main list of boards. There you will notice a little envelope sign to the left of each of the forums. Forums that have new posts since your last visit will have a red colored envelope, like this: Likewise, if there have been no new posts to a forum, the envelope will look like this: Hope this helps smile.gif

#59 Melb

Melb

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:nothing right now

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:47 PM

I have a silly question and it may be answered somewhere else--but so far i haven't found it---and at times i get so mixed up and frustrated i forget what i'm looking for ---anyway---when you go to a topic, and there is the button at the top saying "add to favorites" ---when i do that and then go to my favorites later---i have about 20 entries (?SP) of that same topic---then if i check just one and push the delete button the whole favorite page disappears. Does anybody else have this happen--or am i doing something wrong??--(i only press the add to favorites button once) Melody

#60 Guest_Gez_*

Guest_Gez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2003 - 01:39 PM

Can someone please unsubscribe me from the PS board. Thanks