Having Board Problems?

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#1 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 09 June 2001 - 04:36 PM

Members can no longer start new topics in this forum. As you can see, many newcomers have posted topics regarding issues that belong in other forums. This forum is strictly for problems with the message board, blogs and Live Chat.

If you have any questions, post them in this or any of the other existing topics. They will be read by me and other board administrators and you will receive a reply. You can also send a PM (personal message) to "Board Administrator" or to me, "Dearest" if you have a problem.

These new Power Surge message boards have been up for about a month. Many of you have had no problems with them at all, while others have been unable to log in after they've registered. Sometimes, when people have written to me saying they couldn't log in, the board administrator has successfully logged in with their name and password. On the main screen it shows that over 450 members have signed on already, so it's apparent that not everyone is having  problems.

I realize that many of you became accustomed to the old boards, but, unfortunately, those boards had over 25,000 messages and it was causing a strain on the server the Web site is on, which is why these boards were installed on a different server.  I was told if I left the old boards on the old server, I risked losing the entire Web site. I don't think any of you want to see that happen.

For those of you who have asked why we couldn't have boards without registration, the registration is necessary for the purposes of maintenance and organization. It's also easier to log in once and not have to retype your name for each message, plus these boards have many more features than the old boards.

So, for those of you who've had difficulty registering and/or signing onto the new boards, please be advised that we're working on correcting the problem. I have received your E.mails. I have responded to as many as I can. The last resort will be to install an entirely new board, while preserving all your messages and registration information.

I appreciate your cooperation and patience. This has been very trying on all of us, but I promise the problem will be resolved one way or the other next week.

In the event this board ever goes down, I've set up a temporary board here.I strongly recommend bookmarking the temporary board once you get there.

Dearest, Power Surge Founder
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
http://www.power-surge.com
In Its 19th Year Online!!!

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what
miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
- Helen Keller

#2 ourjen

ourjen

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 02:06 PM

Dont know if I am on the right board here but I have been trying to order some Revival products and finding it impossible as it keeps asking me for information that I have already provided, what am I doing wrong!!!!!   Hugs Jen

#3 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 08:11 PM

Is there an online ordering form for Revival now?

I've only ordered it by phone (1.800.700.1560).  Maybe you might want to call them, instead.  Sometimes, talking to a live person helps.  

#4 nkk

nkk

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 07:50 PM

this is a tech question for the board, but includes also a pet peeve of mine concerning ?the gender writing that is prevalent in our society. ?i tried to get onto the site last night and it was busy (knowing how the crazy the chats can get, i'm not surprised! ?:biggrin: ) ?i also tried, unsucessfully, to access the joints board through the email i get. ?here's part of the error message i got:

"Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@power-surge.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error."

now, ?was that written by a man or what? ?talk about giving me a guilt complex! ?"anything you might have done that may have caused the error." ?jeez.....

anyways, i just tried the joints board and it seems like we lost it. ?and for some weird reason, i feel guilty......

Nita[br]Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it.

#5 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 07:59 PM

I had that same message a few times recently,nita and I know what you mean 'something you may have done' sounds a bit ominous, doesn't it?! ?sad.gif I mailed them as it suggests, and the replies were a bit terse and unfriendly (well, I suppose I shouldn't have expected love and kisses or anything!) this was a bit off-putting, and when I tried again I got in no problem so didn't bother them again!

#6 bikearoux

bikearoux

Surgette

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 08:08 PM

Hi Nina and Gem, I had that same problem last night,but when I asked if anyone else was having that problem, no one was. I thought it was my old computer pitching a fit because I love reading these post so much. Hope it gets fixed soon.   smile.gif
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HAPPY TRAILS,[br] ? ? ? ? ? UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN[br] ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~bikearoux~Sue~

#7 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts
  • Interests:Obviously, I wasn't born in 1993, but Power Surge was! I created Power Surge in 1993 on AOL and it was formally introduced as an AOL community for women in Feb. 1994. My interests include writing, antiques, computers, the Internet, Web design, new technology. Politics (The West Wing was my all-time favorite show), music, especially jazz. Eclectic tastes. I'm concerned about the protection of our environment and natural resources. My passion -- Power Surge! Used to travel a great deal. Love artsy jewelry, sterling, turtle necks, art and good films. Fascinated with everything Native American/American Southwestern.

Posted 11 May 2002 - 10:28 AM

The reason you got that message about "internal server problems" was because there were problems with the server that house the files for Power Surge. I got the same message.  Although the site wasn't completely down, it was difficult to access. Everything was cleared up within an hour. It's very rare that this type of problem occurs. However, when you run a Web site, you have to be prepared for everything. Technology isn't perfect. Should you run into a problem like that again, I would recommend a cup of camomille tea, some yoga and try checking back in about a half hour.

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#8 bikearoux

bikearoux

Surgette

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 07:56 PM

THANKS DEAREST, I think the cup of tea and yoga sounds great. I just went to the chat that night and all was fine. I love this site and glad it was nothing serious. Happy Mother's Day to you and to all the moms out there.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HAPPY TRAILS,[br] ? ? ? ? ? UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN[br] ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?~bikearoux~Sue~

#9 nkk

nkk

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 08:42 PM

Yes, thanks Dearest, that would account for being unable to access the site. ?I have found, though, that I'm still unable to get into certain threads. ?Actually, I get in but there's nothing there. ?Is anyone else having that problem? ?Maybe it's my connection.
Nita[br]Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it.

#10 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 08:04 PM

Hopefully, those threads are all better now.  

I noticed 2 threads that were "missing" but they're back now.

#11 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 05:22 PM

It is the 'Joints' etc thread which is missing for me, Nita, presumably for you too?

#12 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 06:39 PM

I thought I posted this question earlier, I don't think it went through. Is there any way for me to read the transcripts for tonight chat with the guest. I am not available on thursday nights and always miss them, I try pulling them up in the library transcripts to no avail. ANy help is appreciated. ?Thanking you Cabo

#13 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 07:12 PM

Cabo, the transcripts of the Thursday night guest chats are usually available within a few days after the guest chat takes place and are *always* put in the Transcript Library.

When you say "I try pulling them up in the library transcripts to no avail," what do you mean?

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#14 Cabo

Cabo

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 12:32 PM

Dearest, ? ? ? ?I guess I look too soon. I am always excited to read them and must look the next morning. Just now though, I looked for Kathy Smiths transcript from last time on and it was there. Oh well, thank you for the information, as my mother always said "Just Ask". I am so happy to see you on the board, you are in everyones thoughts. Please take care. Peace Cabo

#15 bingo1

bingo1

Senior Surgette

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 12:35 PM

I can't get into the chat room, is there something I should download, or is my computer too old. I kept getting the message "not responding". Last night was the first time I tried.bibgo1

#16 HippieHeron

HippieHeron

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 10:45 AM

Can we use the depression board now? ?It looks like its ok but I've noticed that no one is using it yet and I didn't want to be the first one and take the chance of using it too early and messing it up again. ?Is it ok?
Hugs and Peace to all, ? ?
HippieHeron (Ruth) ?:)
There are two escapes from the miseries of life: music and cats. - ALBERT SCHWIETZER

#17 Kalanie

Kalanie

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 02:14 PM

It seems that we have also lost the "Births and Milestones" thread.  :(
Vickie
~~ ?When one door closes, another one opens?~~

#18 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 06:08 PM

Quote: from Kalanie on 2:14 pm on June 22, 2002[br]It seems that we have also lost the "Births and Milestones" thread. ?sad.gif

It's b-a-a-a-c-k.

#19 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 06:44 PM

Quote: from HippieHeron on 10:45 am on June 22, 2002[br]Can we use the depression board now? ?It looks like its ok but I've noticed that no one is using it yet and I didn't want to be the first one and take the chance of using it too early and messing it up again. ?Is it ok?
Yes, you should be able to use the Depression board now. You'll notice one of the topics is duplicated, so although you may post in one, don't be surprised if your posts appear in both.

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#20 ollie

ollie

Junior Surgette

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 08:49 PM

unable to access the "bleeding" thread (nothing there)

thanks for any help!ollie

#21 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 09:43 PM

Quote: from ollie on 8:49 pm on June 22, 2002[br]unable to access the "bleeding" thread (nothing there)

That should be working ok for you now smile.gif

#22 Suseyq

Suseyq

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 10:09 AM

Dearest: I love this site, but find myself not coming as often as I would if...the latest posts came up first!  It seems quite annoying to have to scroll down through all the post on an especially active thread.  Is there something I don't know?  A short cut to the last postings?  Not complaining, just wondering.

#23 Dearest

Dearest

Founder, Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:13 PM

Quote: from Suseyq on 10:09 am on Sep. 15, 2002[br]Dearest: I love this site, but find myself not coming as often as I would if...the latest posts came up first! ?It seems quite annoying to have to scroll down through all the post on an especially active thread. ?Is there something I don't know? ?A short cut to the last postings? ?Not complaining, just wondering.

I like everything in an ascending order. That way, I can follow a thread without going backwards. I've got enough trouble thinking in a forward fashion these days :biggrin:

It's really not hard to scroll to the bottom if there's one page to a board. Every board is composed of various topics. You will also notice numbers at the top of some topics. That means that the messages are on more than one page. If you see "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" it means there are five pages to that topic, the oldest messages appearing on #1 and the newest messages appearing on the last number (last page) -- in this case, #5. ?If you want to cut to the quick, click on #5 (or whatever the highest nuber is on that topic) and read through the messages or scroll to the bottom. OR, you can just click on POST REPLY at the top of the topic, too (but usually people are replying to other messages).

Also, if you're on a particularly long page, hit your "END" key on your keyboard (where the up and down arrow keys are. It's usually in the middle section between the letters and the numeric keypad) and that will take you to the bottom of the page. To get back to the top of the page, there's a "HOME" key  above it. It's really very simple once you know your way around.

Does that make it a little easier? I hope so and that you'll find yourself coming by to visit the boards more often. I'd hate for something like that to keep you away :biggrin:

Dearest

- Helen Keller

#24 MGU

MGU

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:11 AM

I was searching around on power-surge the other day and I came across what seemed to be some other form of message boards rather than the ones I usually go to. If I remember correctly it had questions and then it would tell how many answers there were to the question. I even had the persons e-mail address with some of them. I want to go back there and can not find it . I don't remember what I clicked on to get to this particular place. Can you help me find this again?
Gail

#25 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:45 AM

That sounds like the archived message boards, Gail. ?Those are the ones  before this current set of boards.

They also have lots of good support and information. ?To find them, they're located here: The Archived Power Surge Message Boards!

Dearest: The above link won't work any longer. The archived message boards are no longer available. I had to take them down. The thousands of messages put a strain on the server. There are plenty of messages on this board.

#26 Gemini

Gemini

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 03:10 AM

Hey, that end and home key thing is like magic!!!!! Thanks, Dearest.I had no idea at all you could do that. All my computer knowledge, such as it is, is self taught, so I am always glad for tips. That makes getting to the end of a long thread you have looked at before and merely want to see the last message of, much easier smile.gif

#27 MaryO

MaryO

Super Surgette

• Admin
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 03:32 AM

Quote: from Gemini on 3:10 am on Sep. 21, 2002[br]Hey, that end and home key thing is like magic!!!!! Thanks, Dearest.I had no idea at all you could do that. All my computer knowledge, such as it is, is self taught, so I am always glad for tips. That makes getting to the end of a long thread you have looked at before and merely want to see the last message of, much easier smile.gif
Amazing what you can do with computers. ?I never thought much about the Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys much -they were just there.

I wonder what else I'm missing.

So, thanks from me, too, Dearest!

#28 Rose54

Rose54

Newbie Surgette

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 09:45 PM

Hi, I'm new here and would like help.  I placed on post, or response - now I'm not sure which, a few days ago.  I don't remember where, and don't know how to find it.

Help please????  I was talking about taking lexapro and break thru bleeding, etc.

I feel so foolish.

#29 Isla

Isla

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure if I've missed some important point re how to read these boards. ?After I see someone's message on the Introduction board, where do they go next? ?I know I could follow their name to wherever they might post, but is there a general sort of 'next' board for new users? ?Women introduce themselves, often with questions, but since that's not the place to answer them, I don't, but I haven't found a central sort of place where that would be appropriate. ?This site is so huge, I get a bit lost - much more easily these days than ever before. ?It's a fantastic site, but a bit daunting for the unfamiliar.
Isla

#30 debrikkia

debrikkia

Super Surgette

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 05:44 PM

Hi Isla, and welcome to Power Surge.

To familiarize yourself with the rest of this site, I would recommend that you go to the Quick Links drop down menu at the top of each page.  Then you can click on any of those subjects like "Meet Dearest", or Educate Your Body--and a number of other wonderful pages of information.

As far as the Message Boards go, there really is no "order" in which to navigate through them.  You just select a board that interests you, and click on any of the topics (threads) on that board.

I hope this helps some, but if not, just ask your questions under a topic that is closest to what you want to know.  Again, welcome to PS.

Debbi

Laughing is good exercise; it's like jogging on the inside.